twelve

ryland's pov

it's strange how everything is a hundred times louder when you're trying not to be heard. my lace up vans were practically screaming with each step i took as i crept down the stairs, each croak of the floorboards as they squealed under my feet slicing the thick quietude. shane's fleece jean jacket hung loose on me and covered my grey sweatpants and dark long sleeve shirt, the oscillations of my vibrating phone echoing through the house as though it wanted to be heard.

the cool air bit at my cheeks as i creaked the front door open and shut, stepping into the cold and being met with shane's bright smile. for a moment, i stopped in my tracks and stared, taking in his tall stature and lapping up every inch of his countenance because he was completely, utterly and entirely flawless. the small whisps of strawberry blonde hair tinted the auburn turmoil atop of his head, several strands falling in front of his face and causing him to grin even wider as he pushed them away.

"i didn't know what to get us, so i bought strawberries and nutella."

sometimes, in the the mix of everything, i forget how iridescent his voice sounds. as smooth as silk with a rough, gravelly undertone that made my heart thump faster and my stomach churn.

i grinned widely as he laced our fingers together and rubbed his thumb lightly over the top of my hand. heat rushed to my face as our skin moulded together. "that's my favourite thing you've ever said to me."

"better than quoting romeo and juliet?"

"fuck yes."

shane burst out laughing and wrapped an arm round my shoulder, directing me towards the sleek black range rover he adored so dearly. opening the door for me to go in first, he smiled softly and his eyes glided over the features of my weary, tiring face. up until a few weeks ago, i didn't know it was possible to be sleep deprived yet wide awake with adrenaline and lust and anticipation and him. the feeling was rich and delicious and warm at the pit of my stomach.

"god, you look good." he muttered as he slid into the leather seat beside me and slammed the car door shut with a significant thud behind him. not really knowing what to reply, i averted my gaze to his broad shoulders and focussed on the way his chest muscles – covered by a grey sweater – rose and fell whenever he exhaled. when i didn't respond, he chuckled and began focusing on the road, eyebrows knitting together in concentration as he put the car into start with a smug look on his face. we left my house sleeping and silent with the lacklustre knowledge of our whereabouts trailing behind us.

the majority of the drive consisted of shane's fingers tapping on my knee, his free hand resting loosely on the top of the steering wheel whilst music that was decades older than us played out the car speakers quietly. it took a while to get to the beach that night, mostly because the main road we usually drove down was closed for construction and we'd had to take the scenic route. combined with shane taking a few wrong turns, neither of us were surprised when, as we we pulled into the desolate parking lot, the dashboard clock read 12:36am.

"can i tell you a secret?" i asked a half hour later as my tastebuds danced against the taste of chocolate. i'm in love with you. i have been for the last two years.

shane popped a strawberry into his mouth and rested back on his elbows, skin digging into the sand. the beach was beautiful at this time of night; a midnight blue blanket of darkness coating the sand as they sea crawled across the ground and fought against the rocks. the sky was entirely clear tonight, a canvas of monochromatic beauty with a handful of stars surrounding the moon. it was full, tonight – not like usual. we were bathing in light and newly found love and each other, and all i wanted to do was freeze time in this moment and never take another step forward.