Chapter 34

Devon watched as the pair came strolling into the hotel. 

Both of them had the same look of drowsiness, eye bags and skins so pale. 

When Clove saw Devon she waved and continued walking towards the elevator with Aric next to her. 

She didn't say anything to him and he was fine with that. 

He smiled with a saddened look, he knew because he saw yesterday's game. 

It was a tragedy for everyone and he knew that he can take care of her just fine.

The moment the elevator opened, both of them slumped into the walls, all of their energy being sucked out and falling tirelessly. 

"Hey...how many pages did you read?..." Aric asked as he tried to stand back up. 

"I finished the entire book..." She answered as she yawned and leaned back against the elevator wall. 

Aric smiled, "Not bad...I also finished that book..." 

They were standing opposite each other, Clove had her eyes closed and seemed to be really at peace. And Aric loved that. 

As he moved closer and reached to touch her hair, the doors had opened as he stopped mid-way.

 His father and his numerous bodyguards entered and pushed him out of the way, causing him to be back to his spot, the opposite of Clove. 

His expression suddenly went to distaste, his father not even giving him a glace or response, simply ignoring him. 

Aric tiptoed to see Clove still in her daze as her eyes were closed.

When the doors opened again, his father and the rest of the guards left. 

Aric breathed a sigh of relief and as Clove opened her eyes, all she could think of was chicken. 

Reading really had a great effect on her.  

As the doors opened to the next floor she waved goodbye to Aric and stepped out, "See you later in the city, good luck on surviving" 

She left without a single word and Aric was happy. 

From the start of this game, all he could think of were ways of winning this game, claiming victory above all others. 

Never really feeling real joy...

Perhaps, he was starting to feel the joy from someone unique.

***

They had both taken a two-hour sleep, being forced out of their beds to join the others in the hall. 

As expected, everyone was not talking to one another, the atmosphere felt so colourless as no one uttered a single word. 

There were fewer contestants, they probably died yesterday and never came back. 

Around 30 to 40 people were left, as the game was closing its final days, people were bound to lose. 

They were all tired, but they had to finish this week and wait for the final results on Friday on who won. 

They all wished for this to end as soon as possible. 

So they had to do it, two more games and it was all finished. 

Could they do it?

***

Clove watched as the people rebuilt and cleaned up the city. 

The blood, sweat, and tears of their enemies and allies were slowly being cleaned up in the sand. 

But the people will never forget the tragedy that struck this city in its shambles.