Chapter 44

The morning of the 1st of January was cold. 

Ethan was already in the hall with a tired look and had bags under his eyes. 

One more week...until the end, he thought.

All of the past emotions that locked him up in a cage all while the goals and objectives he wanted to run forwards to were too far away. 

His mum...the victory...a beautiful ending that would forever change his life. 

This was by far one of the longest times of his life where all the things he did not want to see was right at his doorstep where it was constant and a sequence of grief. 

The hall had prohibited cameras, interviewers and other reporters. 

As only staff and some executives were left wandering by themselves in an eerie silence. 

He sighed. 

He closed his eyes, trying to remember the nights before.

~

"It was that bastard I thought I had killed!" Shouted Levi. 

"Did he not fall down from the castle? It was way too high so he probably died anyway, it was probably someone else new-"

"No...it's just impossible...you saw his hair didn't you?... You saw it. I know it. You just don't want to admit it because it seems almost impossible that this happened..." His voice slowly trailed off as an uneasiness washed over his face.

 No matter how many times Ethan had an answer to Levi's questions, Levi was definitely right. 

He didn't want to admit that they were thinking and saying was right. 

"The snow was probably too high and deep...that's how he probably lived..." He finally said. 

He felt the anxiety in the tips of his skin as goosebumps awakened. 

Across the room, he felt Levi tremble. 

"I died."

Ethan gulped. 

He continued, "Everything I fought for...everything you all fought for...is gone."

He felt the pain in his words because he too shared the same pain. 

And he understood. 

Ethan wanted to cry, to scream but the pressure was on. 

"Levi...all of you did well..." Was all he said; pathetic.

"Hey, Ethan...I have a question...why didn't he kill you?...

The question ringed through his brain like a bell.

~

And still, that question ringed a haunting sound. 

It was Monday and he did not know what to do anymore but dream of aiming something that was too far away. 

He scruffed his hair messily and looked around desperately to at least see that fiery red hair. 

Only, as he kept on gazing desperately, the eyes of someone he was scared of to the very bone met with his.

And in the next moment, she already there in front of him. 

It was cold but he felt the sweat pick up as he stared at her. 

She was of average height, smaller than him by a head or two, hazel eyes and wavy brown hair. And her name was... 

She smiled widely, "Good morning!" She said cheerfully.