Chapter 49

The world seemed to be too much for him and he wanted to leave before he saw their faces below. 

He could already imagine their confused and scornful faces after seeing such an imposter and a weak man standing in a position a leader like Levi or Clove would stand on. 

He couldn't care less of what these expectations of him ceased. Especially from the people who refused to walk forwards for unknown reasons he so wanted to understand deeply. 

He might've just walked away from his own victory but he was bound to lose anyway because he and she weren't enough to bring down those monsters that threw away their own humanity. 

Saving a girl and proposing his kindly ideas might've highlighted his rapturous humanity in comparison to those who butchered and stabbed mercilessly as if they were born to do what they did because of their bodies and actions that looked so fluid when in battle. 

He was weak, he was no leader. 

The soldiers moved out of the way and opened the door for him but Clove stood still where she was.  

He looked at her for a second to see something; to find something. 

But nothing but a face that was stationary. 

They were close as the wind brushed some of her soft hair to his face. 

She let him leave with no words spoken. 

The corner of her lips curved slightly to a smile as a silent laugh escaped into the fresh winter air. 

***

The moment he was out, he was already walking towards a hallway and stopped a lady and asked the question he seemed afraid to ask. 

"Where is she?"

Somehow, the lady had known whom he was talking about as she led him to a couple of stairs before landing him to a door in the very bottom of the castle. 

She left with no other words as Ethan stood in the doorway trying to organise his words in his mind before he presents himself to the very little girl who he picked up randomly in a battlefield of terrors. 

He brought his arm up and knocked and opened the door. 

From the very far side of the room where the windows were, the little girl was standing on a chair and staring curiously at the white stuff that was falling outside. 

She was wearing white winter robes that suited her perfectly and as he walked a little more closely he noticed her once messy and long hair was washed and combed neatly, her waves cascading down beautifully like its own waterfall. 

When he was close enough to see her trying to poke at the white dots falling, she finally looked behind as her eyes bulged and ran across the room to the bed and ducked underneath the covers. 

It was barely even a minute and it already seemed as if the world was falling apart into broken glass pieces. 

He stumbled forwards and stuttered, "W-wait!... I come in peace...I promise."

It took time, but she carefully and slowly peeked under her covers to see Ethan standing at the bedpost with his hands in the air. 

If he remembered correctly, Morana had a language...well then...he was already screwed- 

"My name is Angel, promise me you won't tell anyone." Her small voice said as she looked at him unsurely. 

But that was enough for Ethan to smile.