18: stories

I heard a slight creak that signified the door being opened.

"Go away." I mumbled into my pillow, wiping my eyes.

"I heard you crying." Mr. Kim said, and my body sank down as he sat beside me on the bed.

"I don't want push you." He started, before pausing, clearly debating on whether or not he should continue.

"But from my experience, talking about it helps." He finished with uncertainty, his tone softening as I lifted my head from the bed, turning to look at him.

"No thanks." I mumbled into my pillow, before crawling over to the edge of the bed to sit beside him.

I wiped a tear from my cheek before sniffling and sneaking a glance at Mr. Kim.

He had a soft smile on his face, but in his eyes, pooled sadness and regret.

"Get some rest." He said, before turning away and leaving.

But as he left, I could have sworn his hand faltered on the doorknob.

-

I walked down the stairs, to see Mr. Kim making pancakes.

I muttered a "good morning" before pouring myself a cup of coffee and sitting down on a bar stool.

We sat in silence, until I decided to speak up.

"So, when are you going to tell me what happened to you?" I questioned, swirling patterns on the marble countertop with a finger.

"And what, does that mean?" Mr. Kim asked, drying his hands on a dish towel.

He leaned against the sink, staring me down with inquisitive eyes.

I felt like I was going to melt any second under the scrutinizing stare of Mr. Kim.

"I want to know why you always look so sad." I said, slightly pouting as I looked at him.

He didn't say anything.

He opened his mouth to speak, but he paused, before looking back down.

I looked down as well, deciding not to push him any further.

"You don't always have to second guess yourself. I don't bite." I muttered under my breath, looking up to see him cross his arms, his muscles flexing.

I gulped, before looking back down at the countertop.

"And, you know it wouldn't hurt to open up about your past. I've been trying to talk to you, and it's like, it's like you want to suffer alone." I continued quietly, before falling silent, awaiting some type of response from the tall man.

I continued to swirl patterns on the countertop nervously, sticking out my bottom lip in concentration.

Talking to a damn wall would be more entertaining.

He remained silent, the same look in his eyes as he stared at me.

"And you've been saying over and over again that you're here to protect me, but not once have you tried to get to know me." I added, looking up now, at his emotionless face.

"And now, even as I'm standing right in front of you, pouring my heart out to you, you're completely silent. Not a single word out of you. I feel like I'm going crazy, Taehyung!" I continued, letting his first name slip as I threw my hands up in defeat.

"I know that we've only known each other for a few weeks. But if you know so much about me, I think it's only fair that you tell me at least a little bit about yourself." I added, before falling completely silent, mentally reminding myself to keep quiet, although my lips itched to speak unspoken words.

I was honestly expecting him to say something, but he only nodded, before turning around to wipe down the counters.

-

After my little outburst at Mr. Kim, I stormed upstairs, having had enough with his childish silent treatment.

It was like talking to a statue.

I sighed as I turned on the shower, turning the water up as hot as I could stand it.

I angrily conversed with myself in the shower, enacting scenarios and conversations with Mr. Kim.

I think I intimidated my conditioner bottle.

And I almost slipped twice.

I turned the water off, before stepping out and grabbing a towel.

This man was going to drive me insane.

He always said ominous things, that meant like he was implying something else, but he never elaborated on it.

And it drove me absolutely crazy.

A quiet knock came from my bedroom door, and I opened it, drying my damp hair.

"Hey, Jae wanted you to drink some of this. It's supposed to have like healing qualities with ginseng and stuff, but I smelt it earlier, and I think he might be trying to poison you. We should keep an eye on him." Mr. Kim joked, trying to make me smile.

He failed. Obviously.

He cleared his throat awkwardly, before handing me the mug.

I took the orangey drink from him, before setting it down on my dresser.

"Thanks." I muttered, going to shut the door, but he stopped me, placing a hand on the doorknob.

"For the record, we haven't known each other that long. I think we should at least wait for a two month mark for me to tell you my whole life story." He joked, and I smiled slightly, before opening the door wider.

"I know, that I'm hard to be around. I know that I can be frustrating." He said, and I nodded, agreeing with him.

He chuckled.

"I can tell you the basics. My name is Kim Taehyung. I'm 23 years old." He paused, and I raised my eyebrow.

"Is that it?" I asked, and his smile dropped.

"Uh, hold on. Let me think." He stumbled over his words.

"My, uh, favorite color is purple. I like ice cream." He said, confident of his answer, and I tried to hide my smile.

"Well, Mr. Kim. I appreciate you trying." I said, making him grin at me.

"Call me Taehyung. Mr. Kim is a little, too, old for me." He said, making me lift an eyebrow.

"So, we're on a first name basis now? This is more than I could've ever hoped for." I muttered, making him laugh.

We both fell silent, and I looked down at my feet, praying for something to come and break the awkward silence that was beginning to fill the room.

Then, Taehyung spoke up.

"I think I'm ready to tell you what happened."