Broken

Sky's knuckles turned white as she gripped the porcelain underside of the sink, gritting her teeth together as she squeezed her eyes shut and concentrated on her breathing. She blinked and looked up, gasping quietly in her struggle not to cry. 

She was terrified; terrified that they won't find Claire fast enough. Terrified that it won't matter, even if they do. She missed her. She missed her so much.

Her feet gave in and she sank to the floor. Every nerve in her body was telling her to run but she couldn't. Ice was running through her veins, her whole body feeling dizzy, as her vision became spotty and tunnelled due to the lack of oxygen. She gasped for air as the first tears finally escaped. 

She dragged herself up from the floor and decided to get a shower. It was late and they had been on the road for the large portion of the day so she had been feeling dirty anyway. Besides, the water might soothe her pain.

As soon as she stepped under the shower, she broke down. She couldn't scream, though she could feel the urge to do so in every fibre of her body. She could only open her mouth to find that words had deserted her. 

There were no words for how she was feeling. 

So her body gave in and she fell to the floor in a dishevelled heap, tears of pure pain welling from somewhere deep inside while the water felt like acid against her skin. 

Suddenly, her fist was meeting the wall over and over again until her knuckles were bleeding and the sting had become too much.

"Sky?" Alex called for her, hearing Sky's assault of the wall. "Can I come in?"

After getting no answer, Alex slowly opened the bathroom door. Sky was curled up in the corner of the shower, crying and sobbing, her body shaking uncontrollably. 

"Baby," Alex whispered with words full of empathy and affection as her eyes searched for the ocean blue ones. She saw the pain in them and felt her heart break for the broken blonde in front of her. 

She wordlessly grabbed a bathrobe, turned off the water that had been soaking Sky and wrapped the warm material around her shoulders. She helped her on her feet and guided her to bed. 

She tugged her under the blanked before crawling in bed behind her and pulling her close, drawing soothing circles on her back.

Sky nuzzled her face into Alex' neck, trying desperately to control her tears. She tried to muffle her sobs and calm down her racing heart but the harder she tried, the more tears her eyes had seemed to spill and the more painfully she choked on her sobs. 

Her fists clenched in Alex' shirt as if she was afraid she would leave her. The brunette could feel a silent scream of unspeakable pain rippling through her body as she finally gave in. She held her even closer, trying her best to keep her together. 

Sky wasn't just broken, she was shattered into a million pieces. And Alex had no idea how to keep her together.