Chapter Fourteen: Help

Scorpius Malfoy is having the most miserable evening of his life. Never mind the elegance of the decorations in the Hall- never mind his father allowing him to go on his own rather than attend with Draco and the rest of the Company Board. 

Scorpius's date is somehow even more snooty and inane than she was before- not to mention her attire. The silk was a nice touch- but the vibrant red and green colors make her look rather more like a Christmas tree than a girl. 

"What do you mean, oysters aren't in season?" she rages to the poor waiter, who is sweating with nerves. "Anyone can have oysters in season. I want them out of season." 

"Madam, please," the poor boy begs, "choose a different option! There are only three. It shouldn't be difficult."

Ernestina shoots him a glare. "Do you know who I am?" 

The waiter shakes his head. "I don't." 

"Neither do I," Scorpius mutters. Out loud he only says "Miss Simple, please select an item. You don't want to have to wait for too long for it to arrive."

Ernestina looks narrowly over at him. For a long moment nothing happens, but the air between them is electric. Scorpius feels almost as though his life is about to end. But then she nods. "The salmon, then." 

Relieved, the waiter hurries away. 

---

Albus, Irene, Carter, and Emmie all eventually arrive at the venue. They struggle to make it up the last of the front steps, but once they have they pound frantically at the door, which is opened by a confused-looking muggle man in a red suit and a black cap. 

"Welcome to the Harmonia Hotel," he says mechanically. His eyes are taking in the strange guests' attire- he has never seen so many people walking about in what look like fancy silk bathrobes. "May I help you?"

Albus begins to stutter, but to everyone's amazement it is Emmie who keeps her wits about her. 

"We are looking for the ballroom, please," she says politely. "There is an event going on there tonight."

"Ah. Of course." 

---

"Where are you going?" Scorpius asks Ernestina when he sees her pull her chair back to leave. "It's only eight, and the event has only just begun. The hostess has not even arrived!" 

The odd girl sniffs and snatches her handbag from beside her plate. "I couldn't possibly stay. In such company as this? It would be insupportable. Besides, I have an engagement I must keep with an amazing man- Mister Alexander Campbell. He wants me to work for his new enterprise in Ghana." 

"Ghana?" Scorpius asks, hardly daring to hope that he will be relieved of her company.

"Indeed." Ernestina smiles in a satisfied manner. "And I do not think that you and I suit, Mr. Malfoy. So you will not be granted the privilege of escorting me to the Formal."  

"I am sorry to hear it, Miss Simple." He is not, in fact, remotely sorry. 

As she sweeps haughtily away, Scorpius begins to turn back to contemplate the table. Then he hears Ernestina say "Oh! Hello, Albus."

Albus? 

Scorpius looks back and sees Lily Potter's brother, who is accompanied by two people he hoped to never have to deal with again- that detestable Irene Zabini and her brother Carter. There is one stranger among them- a blonde girl. At first he thinks she is Emmie, but upon further examination she turns out to be somebody else. Even though Scorpius is relieved that his baby sister is not dating Carter, he can't help but feel a bit resentful towards Carter for not remaining single forever after Emmie's rejection. 

The girl catches him looking and blushes, but Scorpius is too preoccupied by another question to notice: Where is Lily Potter? 

Not that he cares.