Part 8

WARNING ⚠️ : Violence Ahead. Daggers, stabbing, and blood, oh my!

You stayed like that until the sun came up. As soon as you caught a flash of light behind your eyes, you opened them and saw sunlight pouring in from the tops of the shelves and through empty spaces in the rows of books.
Loki slowly opened his eyes as well, and heat rose to your cheeks as you saw just how close you were to him- his lips mere centimeters from yours. The last thing you should have been thinking about was kissing him, but it was the first thing that came to mind. He must have been thinking the same thing though because he ever so slowly began closing the short distance between your mouths.
The sound of the door opening caused both of you to stop in your tracks. The voice of a guard boomed, "Prince Loki wasn't in his chambers, your grace. Neither was Y/N. Should we be alarmed?"
A softer and gentler voice, belonging to Queen Frigga, replied knowingly, "Not yet. They're likely in the same place. We will have cause for alarm if we have not heard from Loki within an hour."
Their voices grew quieter before you heard the door open and close again. After waiting a second to see if the guard and Queen Frigga were still there, Loki moved towards the door with his hand still holding yours. You followed along, the feeling of his skin against yours taking over your thoughts. Loki held the door open for you and you stepped into the hall, waiting on him to close the door back.
He never let go of your hand once as you made your way through the corridors, and he slowed his pace as you turned into the hall where your room was. He sounded like he didn't want to leave as he said, "I'm afraid I must be going. We must both get ready for the day and I have a meeting to prepare for."
He paused a moment before adding teasingly, "They're likely to send out a search party if I don't make an appearance soon."
You stood outside your door, waiting for him to let go and head back down the corridor. Instead, Loki just stood there looking at you. Your heart warmed at the thought that he couldn't make himself leave, so you pressed a kiss on his knuckles before pulling your hand away from his grasp. He stood still, making no move to leave. You laughed as you said, "Loki, you need to get going."
His expression was serious and his voice strained as he tentatively asked, "Promise that I'll see you later?"
Your eyes and voice softened as you replied, "Of course."
"You have to promise me." You didn't think he would leave otherwise.
"Loki, I promise." He flashed a breathtaking smile before walking a few feet backwards. You laughed and gave him a small wave as you opened your door. He finally turned around when you walked through the door. You closed it behind you, too distracted with thoughts of Loki to notice June laying a dress on your bed. Your heart nearly leapt out of your chest at the sight of her, and you braced yourself for something to go flying around the room from your brief flash of panic; to your surprise, nothing happened.
"Good morning, Y/N. I hope you do not mind, but I have taken the liberty of choosing your dress for today. There is an important guest arriving for a meeting. Since Prince Thor has been called away unexpectedly, Lelornai will be meeting with Prince Loki instead, so I've chosen something I believe to be suitable for the occasion."
You temporarily forgot that nothing in the room was moving seemingly on its own as you listened to what June said. She smiled sweetly as you asked confusedly, "Wait, am I to be meeting this guest? And who is it?"
June explained, "Yes, but only in passing. It would be considered improper if you did not greet him. His name is Lelornai, a battle adviser of the royal family. I do not know if you remember seeing him when you were younger, but he came for a visit then too."
Your brows furrowed and you were going to ask another question when June said, "Oh, dear! Look at the time. You must be getting ready. First we will get the dress on-"
You cut her off. "That's okay, June. I can get myself ready this morning, I'm sure they're keeping you busy enough. Thank you." You smiled at her as she nodded her head and said, "Alright, dearie. If you need anything, you know how to find me."
As soon as she was gone, you undressed and slid the dress she had picked out for you on. You washed your face before attempting to pull your hair up into a style you had seen on Queen Frigga. When your hair looked as presentable as it was going to get, you bent down to get your shoes from under the bed. Sliding them on, you turned to leave the room when you heard a knock at the door. You didn't think before opening it and found yourself face to face with the man you could never forget.
You nearly stopped breathing at the sight of your captor standing right in front of you in the palace hall. You couldn't move or speak, let alone scream. It was like you were frozen, just standing there and not being able to do a thing.
"Are you not going to invite me in? Where's your manners?" His wicked grin made your skin crawl and a chill shoot down your spine.
Your body finally reacted and you tried to shut the door, but the man who turned your world upside down shoved his way into your room, clamping his hand over your mouth as he pushed the door shut with his foot.
"Don't scream or I'll end you." He hissed into your ear, and you slowly nodded, letting him know you had no intentions of doing so.
He warily lowered his hand, and raised his other hand to show you the dagger he was keeping hidden up his sleeve. "This is what I'll slash your throat with if you don't keep quiet. I'm on a tight schedule so I'll keep this short and to the point." At the word point, he brushed the tip of the dagger across the flesh at the base of your neck. He didn't apply enough pressure to puncture the skin, but it was enough to get the message across.
"I have a meeting in the palace today, and it would be an absolute shame if a certain someone was unable to keep their mouth shut."
You swallowed before shakily asking, "You're Lelornai?"
Lelornai sneered in response. "If you tell a soul about me taking you captive, I will end you and anyone you opened your mouth to before you can even blink. You hear me?"
You whispered, "I understand."
He lowered the dagger, saying, "Good. As long as you keep quiet, we won't have any problems. I must be going or I'll be late for my meeting. See you soon." He said the last sentence menacingly as he left your room, shutting the door behind him.
You let out a breath you didn't know you'd been holding and leaned on to the bed rail for support. You took a moment to steady yourself, and the fear you had for your life quickly dissipated- only for a new one to take its place. You wouldn't be able to warn Loki or anyone else about who Lelornai was without him knowing, and you didn't know what Lelornai was planning but it certainly wasn't good. You felt sick at the thought of something happening to Loki, and you knew you had to do something to get him away from Lelornai.
You hurried to the desk in the corner of the room and grabbed a match from the top drawer. With trembling fingers, you lit the match and touched the flame it produced to the sheet on your bed. Any other time, you would be horrified to watch your bed go up in flames, but in the moment you were so glad it worked.
The flames spread to the curtains hanging just behind the bed and you ran from the room, screaming at the top of your lungs, "Fire! There's a fire!"
Your plan seemed to be working. Palace workers and a few guards streamed into the hallway as you ran in their direction.
"Please, help! There's a fire in my room!" The workers sprung into action and started putting out the fire, and as you made your way down the hall you saw June. You quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side, out of earshot.
"June, there's something really important I need you to do for me."
Concern flooded her features. "What is it, dear?"
"I need you to go find Loki, he should be in a meeting with Lelornai. Tell him that there's been a fire and I've been hurt. Tell him- tell him that I need him and that I'm in the infirmary wing. I'll make sure you don't get in trouble for lying, just- please hurry." There was an urgency in your voice and June didn't question you. She hurried off to go find Loki and you ran in the direction of the King and Queen's chambers.
You turned a corner and almost ran right into Queen Frigga, with King Odin right behind her. "What is wrong, Y/N?" She asked worriedly, and you told them all about Lelornai.
"He's extremely dangerous and I don't know what he has planned. I came to warn you that he's in the palace and you need to go-"
The guards nearby stepped in to escort King Odin and Queen Frigga out of harm's way, but before they could, Queen Frigga (as if she knew what you were going to do) said, "Y/N, it is too dangerous. Please, let the guards handle it."
Before she could protest further, you ran back in the direction you came.
You finally reached the door of the room that served as the meeting room and, with a racing heart, pushed it open.
Lelornai was standing with his back to the door but when the door closed behind you and he turned around, you saw he wasn't alone. Lelornai had one arm wrapped like a vice around Loki's throat, and was pressing the blade of the dagger into Loki's skin as a warning not to come any closer.
You slowly held your hands up, showing that you weren't carrying any weapons and that there was no one else with you. Tears filled your eyes and your voice broke as you said, "Please, don't hurt him. Just let him go."
Lelornai raised an eyebrow at you. "You're in no position to be making requests." He pressed the dagger a little further into Loki's neck, making Loki wince in pain.
"What is it that you want? I'll do anything, please, you don't have to hurt him. Please, I'll do anything."
Lelornai seethed, "I don't want anything from you. What I want is the throne, and you've completely ruined that. If you had kept your mouth shut, my plan would've worked and I could have taken what's rightfully mine. You know, I always keep my word. I should just kill him right now."
Lelornai's eyes went to the dagger in his hand and you knew he really would kill Loki if you didn't do something fast.
You hastily moved your hand to the side and the dagger was yanked from Lelornai's hand, hovering in the air out of his reach.
Lelornai cursed and, in his confusion, loosened his grip on Loki. Loki jammed his elbow into Lelornai's ribs and Lelornai doubled over in pain. Loki grabbed the dagger from the air and slammed it into Lelornai's back.
Lelornai gasped for air before collapsing to the floor, his blood streaming and staining the marble.
Loki bent down to check for Lelornai's pulse. When he straightened, his face was grim yet relieved. "He's dead."
You hurriedly closed the distance between you and cradled his face in your hands. "Oh my God, Loki! Are you alright?"
Loki pulled you tightly into him, capturing you in his embrace. "I am now."