➤ 𝐗

【𝐓𝐄𝐍】

𝐓𝐄𝐍

*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*

THE RAIN WAS WARM AS IT BEGAN TO FALL, accompanying the thick humidity of the air that caused Himari's hair and clothes to stick to her body uncomfortably. She and Mikasa, side-by-side, slashed through the napes of the titans in their way, letting their corpses fall to the ground. She helped Mikasa when the girl got herself cornered once or twice, Mikasa doing the same for Himari. They were a dangerous team, not even needing to speak to each other to communicate. Their shared goal of finding their friends and ensuring that they were okay was all that they needed to drive them past the man-eating beasts.

The steam emanating from the titan carcasses and the heavy rainfall obscured Himari's vision, impairing it slightly as she squinted in an attempt to keep the water from getting in her eyes. She couldn't bring herself to enjoy the rain, not when the ominous feeling in the pit of her stomach continued to grow as they grew closer and closer to the centre of the town. With her tongue clenched between gritted and hands growing sweaty with worry, Himari had a hard time concentrating on anything besides what was right in front of her. The destruction that had befallen Trost around Himari went unseen.

They better be okay. God, they'd better be okay.

Slowly but surely, they cleared a path towards the Vanguard - many of whom were standing around on the roofs of the buildings. Eyebrows were pinched with stress and mouths were turned down in frowns as they conversed quickly and quietly with each other. Mikasa, noting the silent uneasiness in the air, stopped on one of the tall stone towers that lined the city, Himari landing quickly behind her. 

"Why isn't anyone going over the wall?" Mikasa asked quietly. Himari pressed her lips together nervously as her eyes darted over the heads of the people dotted around the vicinity below her. She couldn't see any sign of their friends. 

She hadn't seen hide nor hair of Jean or Marco as she had passed and Connie's telltale shaved head was nowhere to be seen. She couldn't find Sasha, Mina, Krista and Ymir, no matter where she looked and disappointment sent her heart plummeting into her feet every time she spotted a blond that wasn't Armin.  Even the brash shouting of Eren was absent in the otherwise unusually quiet air, which set Himari on edge. Why was it so silent? Where had everyone gone?

"You can hear the bells from here," Himari said, her voice no higher than a whisper as her eyes scanned the horizon. A string of curses left her lips as she spotted the horrific scene in the far distance, catching Mikasa's attention. 

"Fucking hell..." Himari whispered as she pointed in the direction of the HQ, which had become completely overrun with titans. If Mikasa hadn't been standing so close, Himari wouldn't have heard her gasp over the sound of the heavy rainfall battering the clay shingles of the roofs.

"They can't get over the walls - none of them have enough gas left to make it up there. And with HQ being overrun, there's no way any of them can get into HQ to refill." Mikasa was silent as Himari's words sunk in. The white-haired girl swore once again under her breath, but Mikasa barely flinched at her choice of language.