nine

I simply stared at her, not knowing what to reply. Should I have told her the truth, or should I have tried to diffuse the situation? I would've gone with the second option, but I knew that she would've inevitably noticed if I was lying. We'd been friends for such a long time, it would've been impossible for her not to.

I sighed, knowing that there was only a thing I could do in that moment, which was telling the truth. "Callie told me he does" I said, and she gave me a nod.

"I guess that makes sense" Indigo replied, sighing. "I hope he'll never mention it to me though, that would be awkward."

"Definitely" I said quickly, not even wanting to think of the possibility of Joel asking her out, and Indigo rejecting him. It would've surely been a disaster, not only for Joel, but also for our friendship.

She widened her eyes, probably realising the same thing. "You know what, I don't even want to think about it. Let's just watch a movie or something."

I nodded and turned on the television, giving her the remote control and sitting back as she went through the channels, somehow finding a movie that had just started, where she finally stopped.

We watched it, barely paying any attention, deciding that it was much funnier to comment on it, at some point just ending up talking about other things while we let it play in the background.

When it ended Indigo shut the television off and sent me a little glance. "You know what? I kind of want a cappuccino right now."

I gave her a weird glance, not having expected her to say something like that. "What?" I said, humour in my voice, and she rolled her eyes.

"Let's go get a cappuccino, Raine!" She exclaimed, standing up and pulling me up with her, despite my best tries of staying there on the couch.

"I don't want to go out, it's cold" I said, sending a little glance towards the window, through which I could see the white sky outside.

She sighed. "And that's why we're getting a cappuccino."

I sent her a little glance, finally giving in and going to grab my shoes. "I don't understand you sometimes" I commented as I put them on, and she shrugged at my words.

"I don't even understand myself, so you never really stood a chance."

I let out a little laugh at her comment as I put on my shoes, finally standing up when I was done. "Let's just do it before it gets dark" I said, knowing that I wouldn't have managed to make her change her mind, so there was no reason to waste any time trying.

We left the house and walked to the cafe we usually went to as a group whenever we felt like hanging out outside of the house. I kind of wished I had a car at that point because it was starting to get a bit ridiculous to have to walk every time, especially when it was that cold. But I knew I couldn't really afford one in that moment as the majority of the money I made went to pay for my uni and my rent, so I supposed I would've just had to deal with it, and maybe also start saving up to buy one.

I realised things wouldn't have been nearly as easy as I'd hoped in the second we walked inside, and I realised that Joel and his unusual but by then tragically expected companion were there as well.

I wasn't the only one to notice that, because Indigo stopped in her tracks as well. "Oh, Joel and Harry are here" she said, before quickly shaking her head. "Whatever, I'm not going somewhere else. Let's just ignore them."

I nodded and followed her inside, getting a table while she ordered the cappuccinos. Not long after she reached me, putting the two cups down on the table and sitting down in front of me.