thirty-four

I turned my head to look at Harry.

We were watching the television and so we'd been for the past few minutes. We'd had lunch together at his house on that day, and even know I couldn't exactly tell why, I didn't mind it.

I looked at his side profile as he looked at the TV. I know he wasn't watching it - his face was way too attentive for him to be actually watching it. He was so pretty in the warm light of the living room.

I leaned forward and left a little kiss on his cheek, right over his dimple, making him turn his head to look at me.

"What was that for?" He asked lowly, and I gave him a little shrug.

"I don't know, just felt like it" I replied honestly in a whisper. "You're pretty."

He smiled, the dimple I'd just kissed becoming visible. "Thanks, you are too."

I rolled my eyes at his reply, but I couldn't help but smile as well. "So what are we going to do about the money? You just sat here, motionless, for days" I asked him, changing the topic. And it was true.

Ever since we'd come back from Joel's house, he hadn't done much. He'd spent a lot of his time on that very couch. I knew that it wasn't easy for him as well, but I wished he would've been a bit more reactive.

"What do you expect me to do? I don't have a thousand dollars. I don't have a job, and even if I managed to get one now I wouldn't be able to get that kind of money in two days. I can't ask my mother for that much either."

"So that's it? You're going down?"

He sighed. "You're making it sound like I have a choice" he said, sounding frustrated.

"Sorry, I know it isn't your fault" I replied, "it's frustrating though. Are you sure there isn't anyone you could ask for help to? Maybe I could talk to my father..."

"Don't you even dare say it" he told me, quickly interrupting me. "We will find another way."

I nodded, putting a hand on his cheek before leaning forward and kissing his lips.

He hummed. "What was that for?" He asked lowly, staring at me through his dark eyelashes, and I shrugged.

"If we're both going down in three days, I'd like to kiss you right now" I told him, and he smiled.

"Seems a fitting way to spend our last two days" he murmured, a hint of irony in his voice that made it clear that, no matter what would've happened, he had no intention of actually sitting there and perishing to the odds - it was all part of a plan he still hadn't come up with, as always.

I nodded, pressing my lips against his again, the second time around with more determination.

He responded quickly to me, wrapping his arm around my waist and bringing me closer to him without breaking the kiss, his tongue ghosting over the seam of my lips in a tentative but teasing way.

I moved to sit on his lap as he found me, and he let out a low hum when he took notice of the change in position, the kiss quickly heating up, easily fuelled by our beating hearts.

His hands were on my hips and mine on his shoulders, our chests barely grazing, the slight touch sending a spark up my spine nonetheless. Everything seemed to be so much more intense when he was with me, his touch setting me on fire as if he had done nothing else since the start of the world.

I let my hand slowly travel down his stomach as we kissed, feeling him still under me in the instant I cupped him through the fabric of his jeans.

"Raine..." he murmured, my name dripping from his lips like honey, and I kissed his neck as I pressed my hand against him, hearing him clear his throat, making it vibrate under my lips.