eight

The next day they don't talk about it, which comes as no surprise. But Harry looks at Louis differently.

It's difficult to explain. Louis is lazing about on the couch, though he's all dressed up in skinny jeans and an expensive streetwear hoodie. Clifford is lying on top of him, nose nuzzled into Louis' neck, sleeping soundly. He's going out with his friends tonight but he got ready a bit early, so he decided to pass the time by sending his friends snapchats of himself cuddling with his dog.

At one point he looks over towards where Harry is sitting on the armchair, typing away on his laptop. He's working on an essay analyzing one of his own art pieces for a class but he refuses to let Louis know even what type of media it is, if it's a painting or drawing or even a photograph.

But when Louis looks over at him he sees Harry has stopped typing and is staring at Louis instead. There's this weird little smile on his face, and Harry hardly ever smiles unless he's forcing it, but this isn't a forced smile. It's a real one, Louis can tell, because his dimple is right there and Louis feels like melting because why is Harry looking at him like that?

So he asks, "What?"

Harry shakes his head and looks away, eyes fluttering back to the screen of his laptop. He bites his lip to keep back the smile but he doesn't resume his typing.

Louis sits up, deracinating Clifford. There's a faint blush on Harry's face and Louis won't let himself imagine why. "Seriously, what?"

"Nothing."

Suspicious, Louis eyes him for a while before deciding his roommate is just being weird and harmless. He checks his phone for the time and sees he should be leaving within the next few minutes in order to arrive ten minutes late which is exactly on time in his opinion. When he looks back at Harry an idea strikes him.

"You should come with me."

"Huh?"

"I'm meeting up with Niall, Liam, and Zayn. You should come."

"Uhh, pass."

Louis gives him a weird look, not really understand what's going on in Harry's mind. Then again, he never really understands him. "Why? They're your friends too, you know."

"I have to finish this, though."

"Harryyyy," Louis whines, exasperated and fairly certain he's just making excuses to get out of going out. "It isn't due until Monday."

Harry rubs at his eyes and pinches the bridge of his nose between his fingers, very obviously annoyed. He gives in so easily, it's comical. "Fine."

Louis cheers obnoxiously in victory, but beyond the facade of joking triumph he feels secretly very pleased with himself. He wouldn't be pushing for Harry to go out with them if he didn't think it was a good idea. It's important to get Harry out of the apartment every once in a while and Louis feels a lot better knowing he'll be able to watch over Harry tonight too, just to make sure he's safe and having fun.

Right. So the thing is Louis is afraid to have a repeat of the night Harry came home crying and covered in bruises. It's only been a week since then but Louis feels increasingly protective of Harry, because he's realized exactly how much he needs someone to keep him safe. Louis doesn't like seeing his roommate hurt or upset, and when he thinks about what happened he feels this brotherly urge to protect him, just like he protects his younger siblings.

Harry gets ready quickly, because they have to leave in a few minutes if they don't want the others to yell at them for being late. They meet up at the front door to walk to the bar together, and by then Harry is wearing black jeans and a sheer black blouse with red and pink flowers decorating the front. Louis has never seen him wear something like this, since they're always at home together wearing comfy clothes, so it's a bit of a surprise. Louis hadn't known Harry had it in him to wear something so out-there and daring, with the way the blouse is basically diaphanous. Especially for someone so timid and shy, it's strange to see this different side of him.