eighty

"I write songs about you."

"What?"

"And poems, too. That's what's in this journal."

Louis doesn't know how to respond to that. He kisses Harry on the forehead, and says, "That's really, really sweet of you."

"I'm not ready to show you, but like, I will. Someday. When the songs are finished and stuff. So I can sing them to you."

Louis doesn't know what to do with him. He kisses him on the forehead again. "You're too sweet for me."

"I'm really excited for our date tonight."

"Me too. Speaking of, I should probably let you go so we can both get ready. I'll be back here around six, yeah?"

Harry pouts at the mention of him leaving, but otherwise behaves. "Yeah, alright. Don't be late."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

Two hours later, Louis knocks on his door with a beautiful bouquet of flowers hidden behind his back.

Well, they're not really hidden, since he had purchased the biggest bouquet he could find, but. The intentions are the same.

The door swings open, revealing Harry behind it. "Hi Lou," he greets shyly, and god does he look beautiful. His hair is curly and slightly damp from the shower, looking effortlessly gorgeous as it drapes across his shoulders. He's wearing black, dressy, high-waisted trousers that flow when he moves, with a black t-shirt tucked into them, and loafers that poke out from beneath the pants, a tiny little rainbow on each. Louis' eyes scan over his body, admiring the way the trousers accentuate his waist, and the way the t-shirt hugs his toned body, making his arms look absolutely delicious...

His gaze travels up to Harry's face again and he sees the shy uncertain smile decked out in barely-there pink lip gloss, and shimmery eye shadow the color of champagne around his eyes. There's a blush on his cheeks, although it looks less like makeup and more like a visceral reaction from Louis checking him out.

"Hi, love," Louis greets finally, pulling the flowers out from behind his back and gracefully handing them over.

The rosiness on his cheeks gets brighter. "These are for me?" he squeaks, not even looking at the flowers, only looking at Louis.

Louis nods, giving Harry a moment to scan over them in awe. He had picked out the biggest, prettiest, most colorful bouquet they offered, and it hadn't disappointed. Harry leaves him for a moment to set them in a vase filled with water, and then he rejoins him at the door.

"Am I dressed appropriately for where we're going?"

"Yes, you look gorgeous. Shall we?"

They had out into the evening air, bracing themselves for the cold. They walk quietly for a while, enjoying each other's company, before Harry adds, "You do too, by the way. You always look great."

Louis thanks him with a smile on his face, and continues guiding Harry through the city. Their first stop is a restaurant Harry hasn't been to before, and Louis was at a few days ago just to check and see if it was acceptable for a first date with the most wonderful man he had ever met.

It's a themed restaurant called Paint, which offers an extensive dinner menu and many different drinks. Each table is equipped with blank canvases, hundreds of paints, and various brushes. The idea is to paint during dinner, which seems like a bit much to ask, but the reviews online were great. He knows, of course, that Harry will love it.

When they enter and the hostess brings them to their reserved table, Harry's eyes are wide in awe. He runs his fingers over the brushes, surprisingly high quality and well taken care of. "Lou, this is... This is really cool..."