fifty-five

They're on the road by 6:45, and Harry is asleep by 7:00.

It's quiet on the highway, despite the typical morning traffic at rush hour. It's not as crowded as usual, perhaps due to the fact that tomorrow is Christmas Eve.

His birthday. With everything that's been going on lately, it feels as though he's forgotten it entirely. Usually, that's due to the holiday rush, but this year it's something different entirely. For months, he has been swept away by Harry.

It's not a bad thing, necessarily, although it doesn't leave much time for Louis to care for himself like he often needs to. Harry is good for him though, he thinks, as he glances over at him curled up on the passenger's seat, head resting on the cold window, breath coming out in long exhales that say he's sleeping peacefully.

He called Liam the other day and they talked everything through, catching up with each other and really being honest. It was nice, exactly what he needed. Sometimes he wishes he could talk to Harry about that stuff, but usually he's too busy trying to get Harry to open up instead, rather than focusing on himself and his own problems which seem much more muted and harmless in relation.

He needs to call his mum, too. For sure. He knows talking about everything would make him feel better, and besides, he won't be home for the holidays and he knows that's almost as hard on his family as it is on him. Almost, because he's the one here all alone while they're all together. Marginally, they have it better.

Calling her now would disturb Harry, though, so he holds off. Tonight, he promises, though when he really thinks about it all he wants to do when they get back to the hotel is curl up in bed with Harry and fall asleep. Maybe he'll just call her tomorrow.

Their destination this time is somewhere in central Ohio. It doesn't seem like the most exciting place to be but Harry had been adamant on this path so he doesn't mind. As long as it means he gets to spend time with Harry and keep an eye on him, making sure he's safe, Louis will be fine.