Chapter 4

Eliza woke up and instantly felt the guilt rushing back to her from the other night. She needed to apologize for the harsh words that had been said.. Eliza got up, quickly pulled her chocolate brown hair up into a signature bun, and started looking for John throughout the house. The search was unsuccessful. She couldn't find him anywhere, and she needed to drop the kids off to school. Regina and Heather were waiting so patiently at the door that Eliza decided that they be dropped off before she continued her search for her husband, and father of her daughters. 

The walk to  the school was only 5 minutes, as Eliza and John had gotten lucky, finding a apartment complex a short distance from the school to live in and raise their kids. Eliza hugged her beautiful daughters, who had a suspicious air about them as they stared at their mother. Her heart throbbed for them, two innocent children, plagued by their parents differences. 

Eliza walked back to the apartment building, and eventually decided to search the roof from a stairwell that led to it. When she got on the roof, she could see a figure sitting near the edge of the roof, obviously not happy about something. Eliza approached the figure with caution.

"John...." She began, her voice cracking as John shot her a look of pure anger. Eliza supposed she deserved it, but that didn't make it hurt any less. He was her husband for goodness sake. Why was he acting so different lately?

"John, I'm sorry for yesterday. I was just really stressed, and you didn't deserve that." Eliza powered through her apology, though now she didn't really think he deserved it by the way he was acting about the whole thing. It was like high school all over again, except for back then, Eliza had been the one mad at John, and John the one begging for forgiveness. Eliza felt nervous thinking about it.

"Eliza, don't apologize. I'm tired of this fighting and everything. Maybe I just need you to leave me alone for now." John said, his voice cold as he looked at his wife, who was so desperately trying to make amends.

"John, think about all that we've been through. Think about the children! Don't you care about anyone but yourself? Your hurting our family! The one that I have tried so hard to protect, and love and do everything for. You all are my life, and your just going to ruin everything? I didn't wanna think this, but it's in your past so I'm going to say it now....are you cheating on me with another women?" Eliza said, her voice low and angry. John looked rightfully chastised as she said all this, and he winced at the mention of his cheating past, of which both of them had tried to forget.

"Eliza, how dare you." John growled. He and Eliza circled each other. From happiness to anger and despair. How easy it had been for them to fall apart. To break each others hearts. Eliza was torn between crying, or slapping him in the face. 

John left after a minute long stand-off. Eliza walked to the edge of the roof, and buried her face into her hands, letting her sobs go freely now. She had tried so hard, and yet had failed time and time again. How was she going to tell the children? Regina and Heather...

Eliza was still thinking of her torn apart family when two hands shoved her from behind. Screaming as she fell, Eliza got a glimpse of a tan girl with brown hair before it went dark.