Chapter 6

Eliza was quiet the whole car ride back. John wondered what was going through his wife's mind as he drove the car towards the apartment building. 

"Mom, how are you feeling?" Regina asked, attempting to tempt Eliza to talk more. Eliza smiled at her daughter, taking the bait because she wanted to assure her children that everything was truly ok.

"I'm feeling alright...just a little shocked." Eliza said honestly. Heather hugged her mom, as did Regina. Eliza hugged them back, and John smiled secretly at his family.

When they got to the apartments, John helped Eliza into the bed, and  gave her a quick kiss. Eliza was confused.

"Where are you going John?" She asked, a little bit of hurt entering her voice. John looked at her, and then looked away.

"I'm going to get you some food" He lied. Eliza stared at him for a moment before nodding, and going back under the covers of the bed. John smiled at her, and left.

He was going to get her food on the way back, but first he had a meeting to attend, and he would be lucky if he made it out without slapping somebody. He came up to her apartment, anger throbbing deep in him as she opened the door and had the nerve to smile at him.

"Lila, we need to talk." John said as soon as she opened the door. A nervous look crossed her face before disappearing.

"Of course."

She let him in, as she usually did...as he knew she would. John took a deep breath and clasped his hands together as he figured out a way to yell at her that wouldn't provoke her using her charms against him as she had done before when he attempted this.

"Lila, I can't do this anymore after what you did today. You could have killed her, and left me and my children grieving the loss of their mother and my wife. I shouldn't have done this for so long....I betrayed my dear Eliza and I won't let it happen again." John said, his voice dangerously low.

"So what? She was never a good person..that's why you came to me in the first place, because you and her were fighting. She's always been a spoiled brat, and never deserved you, John. So what if you betrayed her? She's never been good for you!" Lila said in a heated tone that held a hint of desperateness.

John looked to the ground, and something came to him. If Eliza found out..oh god, that would be the worst thing to ever happen to him, and to her.

A vision of crying, burning screaming and grief came over him like a flash of lightning. This was more proof that he was doing the right thing. He didn't want Eliza to hate him and have the grief of a wife who has been wronged when he knew he was not doing the right thing in the first place.

As Lila took a step towards him, he stepped back, and ran past her, out of the door. He heard Lila curse as he ran down the hall until he got in his and Eliza's apartment. He went to the bed, and fell asleep, happy that everything was worked out now. He could go back to not being mad and angry all the time. Finally, with his loving wife and children.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lila's eyes narrowed as he left. He didn't want poor little dumb and naive Eliza to find out? well, to bad. 

'The whole Bushnell family is about to get the awakening of a lifetime.' Lila thought as she sat down at her desk, and wrote the article about the affair and sent it to the press. She got a email minutes later saying that it would in the paper tomorrow. She smirked, feeling happy.

Perfect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------