03

edited
-

jack had finally neared the finale of his supper, only now remembering about his unset table and the garlic bread. he hurried in rummaging through the cupboards, finding a large amount of the bread and deciding he'd simply cook it all with no second thought.

the curly haired male was hurrying past multiple stations in the kitchen, somehow having a need for the dinner to be perfect. it almost felt as if it was for an important event, or if someone were coming to eat it with him.

he'd quickly pushed the tray into the oven, turning the knob to some degrees before running off to set the table.

jack frowned when he finally looked at the table, finally clicking in his mind just how long he hadn't cared for the house. the tablecloth was draped off one side, the vase in the middle was now close to falling off the edge, and he was quick to see the many withered flower petals that coated both the surroundings of the vase and the floor.

he picked up the numerous petals scattering the tiled floor, grimacing when they dropped into his trash can. afterward, he placed the vase into the sink, and removed his tablecloth to replace it.

jack hurried upstairs, tossing the cover into his overflowed hamper before carefully stepping into the dark, eerie hallway to get to the closet.

upon flicking the light switch, it flickered, and gave a dim lighting from how little it had been used. he opened the small closet door to find a cobwebbed doorframe, and took the first thing his eyes landed on.

after placing down the table cloth and changing the water to the dead roses, jack placed the vase back in the centre of the table and placed out dishes and utensils.

as soon as he turned, his mouth dropped at the foul scent wafting into his nose.

"shit! the bread—"

jack was quick to pull an oven mitt over his right hand, using the ungloved one to pull down the handle of the door.

a puff of smoke blew toward his face, and the overwhelming heat caused for his eyes to scrunch up as he reached in blindly. once his right hand caught onto the pan, he attempted to squint open an eye.

his left hand reached in, and when it met with the scorching pan he fell back into the island, settling with turning off the oven as he ran his hand beneath water.

"i'm so stupid, god."

when his hand was iced, it occurred to him that the appetite from before had certainly dissipated. he sighed, dragging a hand down his face as he'd heard the same song begin to play from earlier.

jack gave a smile toward the blond who wiped his mouth with a shocked look, raising a finger as he hurried in chewing up his food first to be polite.

the curly haired was practically staring, awaiting the sentence about to pour from corbyn's mouth. as soon as he watched him swallow, his began to giggle from the words.

"how do you not like garlic bread?"

corbyn was surprised, licking his lips slightly as his smile grew wider at the giggling male across from him.

jack shrugged with slight composure, "daniel doesn't like chocolate, and most people do," his tongue poked out at the statement. corbyn nodded his head slightly, his own tongue poking out as he shook his head.

"okay, you've got me there,"

he picked up the golden garlic bread, taking a bite out of it as a crunch silenced them both. jack was curious as to if he wanted to continue their banter.

corbyn pointed the bitten bread toward jack, "for someone who doesn't like garlic bread, you're a master at cooking it."

jack chuckled bitterly, throwing the oven mitts to the ground. "master at cooking— my ass."

his eyes drifted over to the fully cooked meal, knowing simply that even if he tubbed it not even him and corbyn would get through it all in a week.

jack leaned against the messy counter, picking up the old style phone and dialling in the digits to daniel and zach's house, figuring he could give it to them.

as the monotonic rings met with jack's ear, his eyes locked on the table set for two.

noted: corbyn liked his cooking.

EXTRA NOTES
-i keep overthinking but im excited for 8/12 so thats cool
(august 20, 2019)