Chapter Two

My eyes travelled up from the laces of his combat boots, up to his muscular torso. I gulped, taking in the huge bulging muscles that stretched the limits of his shirt. I barely dared to look up further, knowing full well that he was already staring at me.

I built the courage to raise my gaze to his face, my stomach tightening at the sight. Two shining brown eyes, set deep within a strong facial structure, pierced my own. They looked at me with such an intensity that I wanted to shrink into myself.

But what made me feel most vulnerable, despite his imposing figure, was the pull in my chest towards him. It was like something was trying to wrench my heart out of my body with every moment that passed by.

I could tell he felt it too, by the look of hunger in his eyes. The way he licked his lips as if I was his next meal.

A pull was bad. A pull meant he had a bad soul.

The moment I took a defensive step back, it was as if something clicked inside of him.  He tore his fixated look from me, slinging a leg over the leather seat of the bike.

And then, as if he were never here, he was gone.

There was no trace of him left, almost as if I'd imagined his whole person. Only the faint sound of a motor roaring in the distance proved to me that he'd been here at all.

Gathering my senses, I rushed into the house. My heart rate picked up as my mind leapt from conclusion to conclusion.

It could've been anybody. Maybe a curious neighbour or someone looking for the previous tenants.

I tried to assure myself, leaning my head back against the door and taking deep breaths. I kept making possible reasons as to why there was a strange man waiting for me at the front of my house, to suppress the one that kept coming back.

They've found you. He's found you.

A malicious voice would keep wriggling it's way into the back of my mind, taunting me with the thought I knew I was trying to ignore.

The stranger spiked worry in the pit of my stomach. Had they found me already. No they couldn't have. He promised I'd be safe here, at least for a little while.

I ran inside, locking the door behind me. I was quick to grab my phone and start dialling his number.

I paused half way through putting the digits in. My brother told me not to call him unless it was an absolute emergency. Was this an emergency? Was I in any danger?

No. I slid my phone back into my pocket, running my hand through my hair nervously. Elias told me I'd be safe. I just had to stop being paranoid.

Trying to shake the feeling of still being watched, I walked to the bathroom, thinking a shower would help to calm my nerves.

As I stood under the running water, that was slightly too cold for my liking, I took the time to forget about everything.

I let the trickle of the shower head wash away the tension in my shoulders.

Only three more weeks and I can leave. Elias said he would come for me and we could start over, not having to look over our shoulders every second.

But three weeks was too far away. The full moon was only in a few days, and I'd never had to be by myself during it.

With a new found stress added to my shoulders, I exited the shower and began to get ready for my first shift.

I knew exactly what to wear, I'd worked in places like this before. Men with stray hands and wandering eyes infest the place like roaches.