Chapter Twenty Nine

A day had passed, mostly spent dazing between watching movies and and me catching up on some well needed rest. Both of us hardly moved from that spot, Archer only occasionally left to get food or bring me my medication. He seemed perfectly content as long as I was tucked tightly against his side, which didn't bother me as it let me finally fall asleep.

When I woke up this morning, I plodded down to the kitchen, not finding Archer anywhere in the room. I was stretching my arms above my head, yawning, when I felt three sets of eyes land on me.

"Look who decided to rise this morning" Jake laughed at my shocked look. I looked over to Archer who was sat at the Island with the other two, giving me a small smile.

"What- what are you guys doing here?" I asked, not expecting to have guests over.

"We thought we'd join you for lunch" Leah beamed, her happiness enough to cheer up everyone in the room.

"Cause you missed breakfast" Jake said with an accusing look.

Me and Leah chose to make lunch, whilst the boys sat and talked at the table. I didn't listen or pay attention to what they were saying, as I was fully occupied by Leah. It was like her mouth was running on super speed. I could barley keep track of what she was saying. I didn't mind though, having someone to talk to other than Archer was refreshing, even of it was a one sided conversation.

"And you don't need to worry about your job" she beamed, throwing spring onions into the pan. "I told Sugar to cover for you. She told Bert some bull about you needing to leave town for a while for family reasons. I don't think he minded though, cause you're the first fresh set of tits he's seen in this town for a while" She chuckled.

The boys conversation stopped as Archer growled over to us in a warning manner.

"Thanks" I mumbled, whilst Leah just laughed at his reaction.

Her laughing was cut short as Jake reached a long arm over us, and plucked a noodle straight from the pan. With lightening reactions, Leah smacked him with a wooden spoon as he ate it. "Do that again and I won't hesitate to rip your tail off" she threatened.

I laughed, happily watching the sibling antics. Memories of Elias and I came rushing back, as we constantly fight over who got the larger portion of mums world class adobo. My laughter died down slightly at the nostalgia, but my smile didn't falter. I looked to my left, feeling Archer gaze on me, I saw he wasn't paying any attention to the drama playing out in front of us as the other two fought.

He looking straight through me. It was if by now he knew when I was feeling something that made feel truly happy. Almost as though he could feel it too. Something in the way his face changed when he looked at me, made me feel as though I was clear as crystal, and there wasn't an emotion he couldn't get to.

I looked away sharply, turning my body away from him. I hated that feeling. That Archer had the ability to instantly understand parts of me without me even being ready to share it.

I'd lived by myself for so long. The closest thing I'd had to an iteration with someone I'm close with, was the occasional message from Elias to tell where to go next. Not once had I had a conversation that wasn't purely to better my situation. Not once in all those years had I held someone hand, let alone touch them.

And then all of the sudden, I'm roped into this intense relationship with the pressure of being someones mate. I couldn't do that. I couldn't ruin that for Archer, taking from him what I know I could never give back. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

"Hey Archer, can you help me grab these bags from the car?" Leah said, finally managing to get Jake far enough away from the food that she felt safe.

Archer didn't say anything in response. Just stood up and started walking towards the door.

I subconsciously went back to stirring the food, not knowing what else to do with my hands. The atmosphere in the room had changed, and it was clear that I wasn't the only one that felt it.

"You should give him a chance." The sound of Jake's voice made me jump slightly, as we had been stood in silence for so long, I had forgotten someone else was with me whilst I got lost in my thoughts.

I sighed not turning around. "I know."

"No you don't know." His tone turned, with a slight edge to it. I turned slightly so that I could watch him out of the corner of my eye. "Archer, he- he needs you. I'm not sure he would ever admit it to himself, but if it wasn't for you coming along..." he trailed shaking his head at the floor.

"If I hadn't come along what Jake?"

He hesitated for a moment, like he was debating whether what he was going got say next was a good idea or not.

"Archer wasn't always like this. In fact he was the exact opposite. He wasn't cold and cut off like he is now. I don't think there used to be time when he didn't have a smile plastered across his face."

"What happened?"

Jake looked back up to me, his hazel eyes coming up to meet mine. He shook his head slightly. "I don't think it's my place to say."

"You can't just bring it up and then not tell me" I said exasperated, genuinely wanting to know what happened. What could have been bad enough to change him like that.

"I'm sure he'll tell you in his own time. But just know that he lost everything." His eyes travelled off into the distance, his voice growing quiet. I knew this wasn't just effecting Archer, whatever happened, effected both of them. I could see it in Jake's face, like it was making him nervous just to mention it.

"You're all he has left."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Side note//// Bonjour quarantine buddies- how are we all coping with the apocalypse? 

I know everyone is saying this is the perfect time to get in shape yada yada- but we all know that it's also the perfect time to eat as much as we want and no one has to see my lil consequential flab pack

Seize opportunity people 

Also I am going to address the fact that Jack is now Jake. It was at first a mistake, but now I just feel that Jack has evolved into a Jake, and that is what he truly wants to be. It is what it is

Stay safe 

Comment and vote 

xoxooxox 

-Shay