Chapter Fifteen

Archers POV

My mate. I couldn't do anything but think of her. It was like a plague had ridden my mind. Planted a seed that had spread its roots, burrowing into every nook in my brain.

Her nose. Her laugh. Her smell. All of it was enough to send me over the edge.

But her name. I frowned, leaning back into the couch, stretching my arms behind my head.

Something about her name didn't sit right. It was the only part of her that wasn't completely perfect. It left a bad taste on my tongue whenever I said it, my wolf whining in the back of my head. A mates name should instantly calm you, but her name did the exact opposite. It didn't suit her.

My frown deepened reflecting back to how I left her in her room. The smell of fear still triggered in my nostrils. It came off her in waves of pure panic.

It made my wolf stir. A mate should not fear their other half. They should seek them for comfort and sanctuary. There should be no place more inviting than being huddled in their embrace.

Even if she is a human, the bond should still have some effect on her. But somehow, she only seems to feel uncomfortable in my presence. I know she needs time and that bringing her here was a huge step that I should've waited longer for. I grew too impatient.

From the first moment I smelt her intoxicating scent, I haven't been able to think of anything else. I couldn't resist her, the urge to be near her overpowering every other emotion. I couldn't stay away.

I watched her from a distance, observing her move about the shit-hole she called a home. To see her lying on the floor, her mattress barely existent, was pitiful. Not that she slept on it much. It seemed that she was always working, keeping herself busy.

Seeing her in that disgusting bar tipped me over the edge. The way every pervs eyes were glued to her, lust obvious in their faces, most of them not even trying to hide it. I nearly lost it, seizing my opportunity to take her then and there away from their hungry eyes.

But the look of fear threw me. That she didn't seem remotely fazed by the other predators in that room, but instead was petrified when I merely talked to her in that alley way.

I let her go, knowing that it was not the time.

She began packing her stuff back up, making it clear she was leaving town. I had to intervene. I couldn't just watch my little mate slip through my fingers like that.

Leah happily wanted to help, jumping at the chance to spend a whole day with Cameron. I felt almost jealous that she got to spend a whole day with her. With her truck, very coincidentally, broken, her chances of making it out of town any time soon quickly diminished.

When Leah informed me that she'd left, I'd just assumed that she went home. I went to check up on her, but the house was empty, her truck still in the driveway. It was only by chance that my wolf picked up her scent faintly when I was on my way back into town.

I couldn't calm him, the need to find my mate safely took control. The smell of her blood when I approached only pushed us on faster. Panic seized my rationality, as I charged straight towards her in my wolf form. Seeing her lying there like a crumpled piece of paper had my breath caught in my throat.

Chains were wrapped around her limbs, angry, red blisters around where they were clasped to her skin. Without even thinking, I let my wolf approach her. I saw the look of terror in her eyes, but my wolf continued forward none the less, his sights only set on easing her suffering.

It was only when I'd healed one of her seared wrists that my wolf finally let me have control back.

I've wanted to ask her since then how she ended up there. Who could've done that to her. My fists clench around the cushions beneath me at the thought of anyone touching my mate.