Chapter Four

The thick red dripped from my shaking hands to the floor.

I stared down at what I'd done, a strangled cry escaping my trembling lips.

I tried to shake the blood off, but more and more would coat my palms, running down my arms and covering my clothes.

He lay there, still, his glassy eyes looking back at me, lifeless. His neck, slashed open, poured out onto the floor, adding to the puddle I was standing in. 

"Look at what you've done" a voice whispered behind me. "You silly little girl"

"I didn't mean to!" I shrieked, trying to find the voice that was taunting me.

"You need to be punished for what you've done." His voice became louder, circling around me.

"No, please no!" I fell to my knees, sobs wracking my chest. "I didn't mean to hurt him"

"You've been a naughty girl, princess, and now it's time for you to come home."

I sat bolt up right, sweat trickling down my face. My heart was racing and my throat was dry from screaming. I didn't open my eyes, burying my face in my palms.

Just a dream. Dreams can't hurt you.

I chanted my mothers words over and over again in my mind, imagining her soothing voice.

I shrieked when I felt the warmth of someone's hand on my shoulder. I snapped my eyes open, blind as I tried to adjust them to the darkness of the room.

I blinked, looking for the intruder, but the room was empty. If it wasn't for the warm tingling lingering on my skin, I would've thought I dreamt the whole thing.

I shivered as the wind nipped at the bare skin of my arms, leaving a trail of goosebumps in its wake. Pure dread filled me as I looked to the window that was swinging open in the breeze.

I had locked all the doors and windows before I went to sleep.

I jumped from my bed, fastening the latch closed. My eyes scoured the grass below, searching for movement.

I stood there, waiting for them to reveal themselves, for them to crawl out of the darkness. I clenched the curtain, ready to pull it back and get back into bed, accepting my obvious insanity.

But someone was in here, I know it. I could still feel them near, as if they're still watching me.

"I know you're there." I whispered to myself, my eyes being drawn to the tree line. The woods cast menacing shadows across the garden, everything within them coated in pure darkness.

A hunched figure, completely camouflaged before in the black, moved forward as if to reveal itself. It took a tentative step towards the house, moving on all fours.

I gasped as it's yellow eyes reflected in the moonlight, staring directly at me. It wasn't human.

As if it heard me, the creature jerked back, scurrying off into the undergrowth.

Taking shaky breaths, I pulled the curtain closed, and got back into bed.

Note to self: don't go into the woods.

I drowned out the sound of my surroundings with the radio, blasting the country music out of the old speakers. Country was all they seemed to play here. It was starting to do my nut in.