Chapter One: Fawna

Cypress snuffed out the irresistible aroma of a solitary female. It had been over a year since Raven had been born and he was eager to pair up with a new mate. "Hurry up! She's not far!" he chirped excitedly. "Why do we have to go after this female. We were fine on our own." Raven spat bitterly. Cypress stopped and turned as the path changed course, "You already know why. It can't be just the two of us forever." Raven lingered behind to sniff a territory marker, the fur along her spine stiffened, "What if she's hostile?" Cypress ignored her and the markers as he passed over the territory line.
Raven hesitated for a moment before springing after her father. The ground flattened out into a clearing where her father was standing, face to face with the unknown she-wolf. To Raven's surprise, both wolves were wagging their tails vigorously and bounding around each other as if they were old friends.
The young female giggled and Raven scrunched up her nose in disdain. Neither of the wolves acknowledges Raven as they speak to one another. "I'm Fawna." The stranger, Fawna, was small, almost the size of Raven who was only a year old. Her fur was a light brown with touches of silver, Raven had to admit she was pretty but her high-pitched voice stung her ears. "I am Cypress," he announced proudly straightening his posture.
Raven stepped into the clearing after her father. Fawna whirled around to face the black and white yearling but didn't meet her with the same friendliness, "Who is this?"
Raven took a step back in surprise but Cypress didn't seem to notice the female's hostile glare. "My daughter, her name is Raven." Fawna turned to Cypress with a look of surprise. "But it is just the two of us." he added on quickly, "Her mother passed last year. We have been alone ever since." Fawna scooted closer to Cypress, "It must be so hard on you. Raising a pup without a female's help." she turned to Raven sympathetically. "And growing up without a mother, how brave."
Raven didn't reply, instead, she looked at her father; Cypress glared at her sternly with his intensely blue eyes. They held each other's gaze for a moment, both possessing the same sapphire stare. Finally, Raven broke eye contact and sighed in defeat. Forcing a smile that felt awkward and unnatural, "My father and I have been doing alright on our own, but I think we could do with some company."
Fawna's expression brightened, "Yes! I myself have been lonely as I left my parents only just last month!"

Raven blinked, this wolf must have been quite young, probably closer to her own age then to her father's.
Still, Cypress stepped forward and touched noses with Fawna, "You could come with us, Fawna. It is about time I took on another mate." he smiled at her.
 Fawna nodded, carrying an aura of immaturity Raven doubted she could respect this she-wolf 
as a superior 
"Yes. I would love to," she agreed naively.