Chapter Nineteen: Trouble on the horizon

Raven padded down the dirt path, her tail held high waving contently, her mouth full of roots and bark.  Awan trotted to catch up with her, his mouth equally as full. 
Raven was getting better at carrying the herbs, she didn't drop as much as she used too. She even started learning more and more herbs and what they were used for.
She knew she wouldn't be here much longer. Snow coated the ground all day now and it was only getting deeper.
There was only roots and bark to dig up now, most of the plants had withered. There was hardly any green left now, except for the needles that clung to the pines. 
Raven dropped the herbs and padded around to the other side of the rock to grab Awan and herself a meal.
This had become their daily ritual after they collected herbs, Raven would grab both of them a meal and then Awan and she would sort the herbs as they ate.
Raven scratched dirt off the top of the hole and frowned when she found only a rotten fish laying at the bottom.
I'll have to go out hunting. Raven decided and nodded confidently. 
She trotted around the rock to tell Awan.
"Awan, there's no food left. We haven't seen anyone in a while, so I'll go out and get something."
He looked up at her, thinking for a moment before nodding slowly. "That's a good idea," He smiled and nodded again, this time more assured. "I'll come with you; show you how to catch fish."
"Okay." Raven wagged her tail, she was excited to go to the creek. They might catch Cypress or Miska hunting in that area. 
Awan packed away the herbs and then they set off.
As they made their way out of the woods and into the flat land Raven lifted her head and sniffed.
"Something is wrong."
Her fur stood up along her neck and without another word, she bolted towards home -to her sister.