Chapter Five: Old Friends

Fawna emerged from the den covered in dirt. It had been a few days since the coyote attack and Cypress had become suddenly ill. His fever was so high Fawna moved him into the den and out of the sun's heat. "How is he?", Raven murmured in Fawna's direction as she turned her back from Cypress. Fawna shook her head, "He still refuses to eat."
Raven sighed, "I think we should find a healer, he isn't getting better in his own." 
 "I know one," Fawna licked Cypress's head as he stirred in his sleep, "I met him right after I left my birth pack. He's pretty young, about your age, but he is talented."

Raven flicked her ears to Fawna "You should go then, he'll need a healer as soon as possible." Raven knew it was a risk sending Fawna out while she was pregnant, but she was the only one who knew where the healer was.
"I don't want to leave him..." 
"You'd find the healer faster than I could. I'll stay with him, it's best that way."

Fawna thought for a moment then nodded, "You're right. I'll say goodbye then be on my way."
Fawna crouched at the entrance of the den and muttered a few words to Cypress. "I'll be back soon, I promise."
They wrapped their necks around each other in an embrace. Fawna straightened herself upright and made her way towards the slope that dropped off towards the meadows. She turned back a final time before leaping down the slope. Cypress frowned as he watched his mate disappear into the distance. Raven stepped into the entrance of the den, "Dad, you have to eat." Cypress looked up at his daughter. For as long as Raven could remember, this was the first time he looked weak.

Cypress nodded and nibbled at the slab of meat lying next to him. "Good." Raven hastily licked her father's ear, "I need to go patrol now." she turned from the den, "And that food better be gone when I come back!"
Raven trotted along the worn paths that lined the territory snuffed about. She had found a coyote trail, and right now, she wasn't going to let it simply pass by.
Her ears were pressed forward in determination, her fur ruffled up all along her spine she wasn't going to let this coyote leave her territory without a few scars.
She skittered along the trail until she spotted it, busy digging under a log. It didn't notice her as she crept closer.
Without pause, she rocketed forward and knocked the coyote head first into the log. It let out yelps of pain as Raven tore into its flesh.
The coyote scratched and wriggled itself under the log, out of Raven's reach. Raven barked in frustration and backed away from the log.
Raven's face scrunched up in fury and turned back home. 
When she returned she found Cypress had eaten all of his food and was now resting in the den. She sighed and made her bed at the mouth of the den, where she could keep an eye on Cypress until Fawna returned.