Chapter Fourteen: So Long,Sister

Raven's ears flattened as she stepped towards the den, her sister's tail sticking out of the entrance. She hesitated before reaching forward and softly nudging her flank.
"Miska." Raven murmured hoarsely and gave her sister time to wake up.
"W-what?" Miska yawned and stretched. Raven looked warmly at her sister for a moment. Her bright red fur glinted in the sun, Raven was glad to see her sister had grown to be such a strong and lovely female.
"What?" Miska repeated, sounding a bit irritated. "I-" Raven fumbled, "Miska, you remember Awan, right?" Miska thought for a moment then nodded. "Well, he needs help before winter and he's asked to stay with him."
Miska suddenly looked much more awake, "Why? Can't he find someone else? What about me? What if I need you?"
Raven shook her head and silenced the pup. "Dad and Fawna will be here. You won't need me."
Miska blinked once, twice, then scowled and looked down at her paws. 
"I won't be far, Miska.  Awan only leaves a couple of miles across the creek. I can come visit and you can come see me if you need anything. Besides,  it is only until the winter."
"You say that now, Raven," Miska hissed quietly.
"I'll be back after Awan is settled for the winter," Raven finalized, "Now, stop being so miserable and give me a proper good-bye."
 Miska stood and lumbered forward, tucking her head under Raven's chin. Raven licked her ears and nipped her playfully on the nose.
"Be good for your mother and father. No talking back and do what you're told." 
"I will."
"Howl to me before you go to sleep every night."
"I will."
"Good-bye, little bear."
"Good-bye, bird brain."
Raven turned to say her good-byes to Fawna and Cypress. She padded down the slope, marking her scent for a final time before leaping across the creek.
She turned back and closed her eyes, breathing in the scent of her home before pulling herself away from the water's edge.