Chapter Thirteen: Only a Dream

Merle padded ahead of her mate, guiding her two sons up to their summer den.
Occasionally, she glanced behind her to see how her mate and daughter were getting along up the rocky cliffs.
"Don't worry about us Merletta." He cooed as he nudged the scrambling pup up a pile of crumbling rocks, "We'll catch up."
Merle disappeared from her mate's view as they made it to the top. She rounded up the pair of brothers and stood over them. Something was off about this place; she could feel it.
Her nose and ears twitched anxiously. 
She listened intently to every sound; the birds chirping, the wind blowing in the treetops, the tired breathing of her sons.
Everything was calm, yet, she still felt something was off.
Everything was calm until one of the pups screamed.

Cypress woke up outside the den. It was just a dream, it was only a dream. 
He sat up and looked around. Miska was sleeping in her usual spot and he could hear Fawna's consistent breathing behind him, tucked away in the den. He panicked for a moment when he couldn't find Raven, then he remembered she'd gone out to meet up with Awan.
He wouldn't be able to fall asleep again, so he got up to start his day.
He was sniffing around the territory border when Raven came bounding up to him.
Her scent mingled with those of many other wolves, Awan must be keeping busy.
"Hello, Raven." 
She licked his ear in greeting, "Good morning."
"Back so soon? Did you see Awan?"
She nodded, "I wanted to talk to you about something."
Cypress sat down and nodded for her to go on.
"Awan asked if I would help him over the winter. I was wondering if you'd rather me stay here and help you guys out. Awan can find someone else to help him if that's the case."
Cypress flicked his ear, "That's up to you, Raven. You're grown now, you have to start thinking about yourself and not worry about us so much."
Raven nodded, "I'll go tell Miska."