Surprise!

Piper's POV

I sighed. It's June 3rd, my birthday. I turned 17 today, one more year until I'm adult. Why am I not excited? Because for my birthday, I am spending it with my dad and myself.

I'm in Oklahoma, hiding in my room. Today is supposed to feel special, but it doesn't. Someone should not be spending their birthday alone. I should be at Camp Half-Blood, hanging out with my half-brothers and sisters and my friends. Nope, I'm spending the day locked up in my room.

"Honey," my dad called out from the other room. "Breakfast time!"

"Coming!" I yelled back.

I got out of my bed and walked to the kitchen. My dad was making pancakes. For once, I believe he did not burn them. They smelled delicious. They smelled exactly like when the time Percy made pancakes for the Seven.

"Happy Birthday sweety!" my dad greeted once he noticed I entered the room.

"Thanks," I mumbled, sounding slightly depressed.

"Pancakes are ready!" my dad said, super excited.

He grabbed a plate and put the pancakes on them. The pancakes were in the shape of a 1 and 7 with purple sprinkles in the pancake. I woofed them down. There were magical and like I said earlier, not burnt.

Birds were chirping and the sweet Oklahoma air blew into our little house. I came up with an idea.

"Dad, can I go for a walk after I get ready?" I asked.

"Sure, be back by 2," my dad answered.

I ran to my room and put on one of my Camp Half-Blood t-shirts and shorts. Separating my hair into three mini ponytails, I braided my hair into a cute braid and grabbed my jacket in case it got cold.

"I'm leaving!" I called out as I walked out the door.

Nature was at peace, for once. The flowers were dancers, prancing to a stunting song. The birds were singing what sounded like a sad, low birthday song. The grass clung onto my legs. It seemed to be whispering. Crickets chirped and bounced around my ankles.

I found a log on the outside of a small forest near my home and sat on it, facing the opposite direction of my house. As I took a deep breath, I thought about what would have happened if I was the one in the prophecy. What would have happened if I died, instead of Jason. Nico is not in tow, so I can not ask him to summon him. No word has reached my ears about whether Jason got into Elysium or not. Come to think about it, I have not heard from anyone since I left for Oklahoma. No Iris messages, no nothing.

I sat there for several more hours, listening to nature. For once, peace at last. Nothing was annoying me, expect my thoughts. I could not stop thinking about Jason. We broke up, ages ago. Am I starting to have feelings for again? No I can't. I shook those thoughts out of my head.

I decided it was time to head back to the house. Walking alone on my birthday, that is sad. The small dirt pathway seemed to be hiding something from me. Everything was weird, silent. Oklahoma was never silent. The winds always howled, the birds always sang, the crickets alway chirped. But now, everything was silent.

Even my house was silent. Dad was always singing or humming. Everything was holding its break, like something was going to happen. Is someone or something going to attack me? I pulled out Katoptris and held it in front of me.

I quietly opened the door of my house, waiting for something to jump at me out of the shadows. Nothing did. So, I relaxed.

"SURPRISE!" people screamed.

I jumped and looked around and I smiled.

The Seven, (minus Jason) and Nico were standing there, holding up a sign that read "Happy Birthday Piper!" Nico was also holding a McDonald's happy meal. They were here, the people I wanted to see today.

"Happy Birthday Piper!" they shouted.

"How did you get here?" I asked.

"I shadow traveled them here," Nico replied, tiredness in his voice. "And I got a surprise for you. Leo?"

Leo came over to me and put his hand over my eyes. He led me somewhere. I heard the rest of the Seven following behind me.

We got where Nico want to go. Nico started chatting in Ancient Greek. He did it so fast, I could not translate it. The wind howled louder and Leo took his hand off my face. I gasped. He was there.

"Jason?" I cried.

He smiled. "Happy Birthday Piper. And, don't worry about me. I have peace at last."

"I won't, I promised," I said.

"I can not hold him much longer!" Nico called. "Say one last sentence each."

"Piper, enjoy your life and spend time with your dad," Jason said.

"Jason," I started, "have fun in the Underworld and I will see you there."

As quick as he appeared, Jason disappeared. Tears filled my eyes. My vision got blurry. Everything was perfect. My friends were there. I got to talk with Jason, even though it was short. I was not going to spend my birthday alone.

"When is it cake time?" Percy asked.

Annabeth slapped him. "Seaweed Brain!"

"There is cake???" I shouted.

"Of course!" Leo said. "Who has a party without cake?"

We all ran back to my house and Hazel pulled out the cake. It was beautiful. It had purple frosting with yellow frosting spelling out "Happy 17th Birthday Piper." On the edges were sky blue flowers. Frank cut it and the favor was strawberry, my favorite.

We each ate 2 pieces and Percy ate three. Annabeth looked at him weirdly but did not question it. Present time was next.

Perct got me a small surfboard, a small copy of the one I had to sell. He said his dad saw me surfing and told him about the design. Annabeth gave me a book called "The Complete Guide to Being a Demigod." Leo got me a necklace with a copy of my knife as a charm. Hazel gave me a braclet with the same color flowers as the cake. Frank gave me a necklace with a picture of the Seven after the Second Giant War. Nico said his gift was making Jason appear for me. I loved it all.

"Thank you so much!" I cried.

"Your welcome," Hazel replied. "But we better get going before we attract monsters."

We walked outside and the Seven and Nico held hand.

"Thank you for the surprise," I said as they shadow traveled away.

Today was perfect. It was one huge

Surprise.

Happy Birthday Piper!