Chapter 5 - The Surprise.

Aditya

I always feel alone. Especially when I'm not allowed to leave the household ever since my childhood. I had less communication with real people and Rathi, my stepmother, used to tell me that my mere presence was an embarrassment towards others in the family.

I knew since small that she's not my mother, even though I wasn't allowed to know who my mother really is. But I knew that she's no longer breathing in this world. I had begged my unknown mother to take me along with her when bad times turned cruel, then horrifying day by day. I have lived in fear with no personal interest to try new things and it was a wonder that I got to complete my highschool, even though there was chaos when I scored higher than my step brother.

It was just like that, anything and everything I do would be offensive to them. I had none to talk, to share my pain with so I grew up alone with these traumatic series life of mine. Of course, I made few friends to talk to in work but that would be very limited.

Never had a full attention on me before and now, it feels weird. All these people surrounding me and their friendly way to welcome me to the school seemed more encouraging. But it still feels a little uncomfortable and somewhat strange.

Maybe it's because I'm not used to this, my mind answered. Or maybe....it's because I missed having her around.

"When will you be joining officially?" This lady on my left, named Riya, asked with a smile while taking out so much space next to me.

"Umm, in another week." I answered and they begin talking to each other randomly which I couldn't hold longer.

It made me so much introverted and I haven't even started the classes yet but I already feel overwhelmed.

Just then, as if something pushed me to look upon this specific direction, I saw my wife. We stare onto each other for sometime and I couldn't look away. I was washed with relief and contentment right that instant.

"Uh....sorry, everyone. I think I should be leaving now.", I excused myself from them and before I could walk away, Riya pulled me into a hug.

I honestly don't have much impression on physical contacts so I unwillingly accepted it to be nice. Her rich perfume wandering on my nose and I hated it.

No one can smell as good my wife. And I don't see why it wasn't a problem with physical contacts if it's her.

I jogged out for my wife as soon as I got out the lady's grip and when I rounded myself to let her know my presence, I caught her looking sad.

"Anaika?" When she heard me, she masked the sadness behind her gorgeous smile.

"Do you like it here?" She asked in the bubbly tone and I nodded.

What was she hiding? What made her that sad? Did she not like the school? Did she not....like me?

*****

"Adi....I got to tell you something." She said once we were in the car.

Is she divorcing me or something? I wouldn't be surprised because nothing last longer for me. Why would someone as perfect as her would want me anyway? She said she married me to save me from my past, so is it just a marriage of convenience?

I prepared myself for the impact, painfully accepting the fact that my happiness wouldn't even last a day.

"You're free to love." I was taken aback for the unexpectedness. "You're free to enjoy your life, the emotions and scenarios that comes along. You're free to decide your future and the life that you deserve the most." And it's all because of the miracle I had in my life.