Chapter 9- a constant thing

After the boardwalk we all decided to head back to my house and just hang out.
I was currently just laying on the couch, with my head in Jacks lap as his phone was once again constantly buzzing.

"Jack?" I questioned, looking up at the ceiling while he played with my hair. Everyone else was just talking and doing their own thing.

"Yes?" He asked with a slight smile on his face. His adorable smile. God Ava, focus. Just ask the question it's not that big of a deal.

"Who's Veronica?"
His eyes widened and all of a sudden it looked like he couldn't form words, but that's okay because he didn't look mad.

"How do you know who Veronica is?" He asked with his eyebrows slightly arched, forming little creases on his forehead.

"I asked you first." I could tell he was a little bit uncomfortable so I spoke again, "Let's go to my room to get more privacy okay?" He nodded and I grabbed his hand leading him up the stairs.

As we reached the middle floor of my house, I heard Trevor yell, "They finna fuckkkkkk!" And a smacking sound which means someone punched him.

I sighed, not now Trevor not now.

After what seemed like 2 seconds, we reached my room and we both sat on my bed across form each other. Jack looked like he was really thinking in his head so we sat in silence for a little bit.

"She's my ex." He croaked out in a hoarse voice. Was he crying? No he's just upset. Instantly feeling bad I grabbed his hand and comforted him.

"The minute she found out that I was really good at hockey, she started to be my friend. She somehow moved into my neighborhood and started to get to know me. She slowly broke my walls down after a couple of months and we started dating. She was the love of my life, or at least I thought so at the time."
He said taking a deep breath
"I bought her everything. Jewelry, make up, clothes, I even chipped in on buying her car. This is when hockey finally started getting more serious for me. She was the only reason that I stayed in school instead of doing online school. It was our one year anniversary and I had roses and chocolates in my hand and when I got to her house to surprise her, she was fucking some dude. After that I started doing online school which was way easier, and started moving around for hockey which led me here. Right to you which is the best black I could be." He said, ending with a small smile.

"Aw Jack, I'm so sorry. If you want I'll punch this Veronica chick in the face for you." I said with a small smile. He let out a laugh and kissed me, "Thats my girl. But you don't need to fight her. You already have 150% of my heart." He said

"You're so cheesy, you're lucky I like you." I said with a playful smirk. After a little bit of talking and maybe making out... we went back downstairs.

The boys and Victoria were playing NHL 19 and I was just laughing at how miserably Victoria was losing to Quinn. These guys are such nerds.

I then thought it was a good idea to call Connor, so I went to a separate part of the basement where you couldn't hear the yelling.... as much.

It took 2 rings before a smiley red head answered the phone, "So did you like my surprise?"

I let out a huge grin, "Of course, you're the best McDingus. I love youuuu soooo much." I said

He chuckled, "Wait until your birthday, 4 more months and you get the biggest surprise of your life!" He said jumping up and down like a little kid.

I groaned, "Connor you know I hate surprises, I don't know why you continue to give me them." I said trying to look stern but still smiling.

"It's because you're my little sissy and I love you so shut up and just take the surprise young lady." He said pointing his finger at me.

"Alright dad." I said sarcastically making him chuckle, "But in all seriousness I need to talk to you. I'm hiding it well, but I'm actually really nervous about getting my results for my knee tomorrow. I'm already halfway through my recovery and I'm gonna have to go through it all again. I can just feel it."

I could tell his tone got serious, "Ava, listen to me. Fragments or not, you are still gonna be my amazing, strong little sister that I know and love. You're going to get through this is promise. We're going to get through this. I'll always have your back, please remember that." He said

I nodded and smiled, "Thanks Connor. You're the best." I said checking the time.

"I'm gonna kick these animals out of my house so I'll talk to you tomorrow okay?" I asked him
He nodded and we said our goodbyes, hanging up the phone.