Chapter Three

Ryleigh
I awoke to the dim fluorescents lining a hospital ceiling. I heard that familiar beeping noise. I sighed. My head was pounding and the dizziness was making me nauseous. I closed my eyes. I heard quiet whispering and they immediately popped open again. I wasn't alone but I couldn't keep my eyes open.

"It's okay, you're fine just calm down,"Tyler Joseph's voice broke through my fuzzy head. "What happened?"I croaked out as I opened my eyes again slowly. They were in my field of vision again. "Why didn't you tell us?"Josh asked first, taking a seat at my side. 

"I couldn't. I've told no one,"I said. That was mostly true. Logan knew but she was my next door neighbor. We were only kids. Who listened to us and believed us? The teachers could tell something was wrong but they never helped me. "We found you bleeding. You have a concussion. Josh saw you fall and he rushed in while I called the authorities. You passed out on us,"Tyler explained. "Your father threw a bottle at you and it shattered,"Josh added.

"How long was I out?"I whispered. "About a day,"Josh said, looking at Tyler. "What is it?"I whispered. Something was up, I could tell. "Well, they arrested your father that day. Your mother just lost all custody. We were thinking if you wanted that Josh could adopt you? Unless you want to head into foster care?"Tyler explained. I looked between them slowly, not believing it.

"We're serious,"Josh said. I nodded. "Alright. It's settled then,"Tyler said, sitting back. "Good, Miss Harper, you're awake. How do you feel?"a doctor asked, entering my room. "My head is pounding and I'm a bit dizzy,"I answered. "That's to be expected,"he said, looking in my eyes with a penlight.

"You suffered a very severe concussion. Your forehead required nine stitches. Your ribs are bruised pretty badly but I don't think that you broke any so if you want to be released tonight I can probably get forms,"The doctor said. I nodded and he left.

"So, I guess you're heading home with us? We'll fill out official papers and get your things in a few days okay?"Josh said, rubbing circles into my thumb. I nodded, eyes heavy. I wanted to sleep again but I forced myself awake. The Doctor came in a moment later, passing Tyler the clipboard with forms saying I was discharged. "Mr. Dun--"the doctor said. "It's Josh please,"Josh said, standing. "Come with me a moment,"the doctor said and they disappeared into the hallways.

Tyler signed form after form. He passed me a Ziploc bag with my clothes. There was some blood on the shirt but it's all I had. My iPod was on top. Tyler passed me another bag, this one from Wal-Mart. "Jenna got you a new shirt and leggings so you can wear that if you want,"he said. I nodded. He put a hand under my forearm and helped me stand, leading me to the bathroom and helping me to get dressed.

I was embarrassed and ashamed that I couldn't even dress myself; however, I knew I would have fallen it I bent over. The dizziness was strong and the bathroom lights were much brighter. Tyler carried me back to sit on the bed. Josh and the doctor returned a minute later. Josh pocketed a piece of paper and he seemed kind of off. "You ready, Ry?"Josh asked. I nodded. "Here, take this,"Tyler said, handing me his hoodie and eventually helping me to slide it over my head.

He pulled the hood up and picked me up. He carried me to an elevator and we went to the ground floor. I buried my face in his chest, anticipating the bright sunlight and trying to hide my face from it to avoid the dizziness. Josh slid on his beanie and sunglasses before helping Tyler put his sunglasses on. They stepped outside, trying to avoid gathering attention.

Josh opened the back door and placed me in his lap while Tyler drove us back to his place. Josh placed his sunglasses on my face and I heard Tyler singing softly along to Fairly Local. "It's okay. You can sleep if you want,"Josh whispered. I nodded tiredly and let myself doze off in his arms.

*********

When I woke the next morning, I was a bit disoriented. As I slowly sat up, Josh came in with Tyler close behind. "Hey, how ya feeling, Leigh?"Tyler asked, ruffling my hair gently. I shrugged. "So, I was thinking we could head to the court today or tomorrow to sign forms saying you're officially adopted,"Josh said. "Who would be adopting me?"I asked, voice raspy from being so quiet. "I would if it's okay,"Josh said. I nodded.

"We got you something,"Josh said, pulling a white box out of his hoodie pocket. "You didn't have to,"I said. "We wanted to,"Tyler said, taking the box and pressing it into my hands. I opened it to find an iPhone laying there. It was brand new, no cracked screen. Better yet, it was actually mine. "I don't know what to say. Thank you,"I said, hugging them both with tears in my eyes.

They hugged me then went downstairs. "We'll get breakfast whenever you're ready. Jenna put more clothes in the dresser,"Tyler said. I nodded and they closed the door. I stared at the phone a minute. I dialed an all too familiar number, wanting to update my best friend on my life and knowing she wouldn't believe it. I also wanted to explain why I had missed school.

It rang twice. "I'm sorry but the number you're trying to reach has been disconnected,"an automated voice said in my ear. I tried again with the same result. What the hell? Logan would never just leave me, would she? I'd have to check her house later. Blinking tears from my eyes, I sat my phone on the bed and got dressed in clothes Jenna had left me. My head was pounding but on the nightstand I found a pill and glass of water. I swallowed the pill before tossing my converse on and walking downstairs, shutting the bedroom door behind me.

A/N: Hey y'all! Sorry for my shitty updating guys. I don't know what else to say. It's been a bad week for me mentally and due to that I've been really unmotivated in just about every aspect of my life. I stay in bed, go to work, get back in bed, and repeat. I do love each and every one of you though. I'm trying to be better updating and hopefully I will. Its almost 1 am for me and I can't sleep so I wrote this. I hope this chapter was good and I'll get the next one up as soon as I can. Much love!

B