Chapter Twelve

Alex
Josh and Tyler had to go to a doctor's appointment for Tyler's hand so they asked us to keep an eye on Ryleigh who was still asleep. Logan Blake came over to hang out with Ryleigh but was just on her phone for now. I heard the bathroom door close and I took note that Zack, Rian and Logan were all next to me. Jack was watching Home Alone in the back lounge. I carefully stood and saw that Jack was still there as well. I wondered if it meant Ryleigh was awake. 

After a minute or two, I heard what sounded like glass shattering. What the actual hell? "Jack, what did you break this time?"Rian yelled. "Why do you always think it's me, MOM?"Jack yelled back sassily. I rolled my eyes. If it wasn't Jack then it had to be Ryleigh. I ran over to the bathroom door. I knocked loudly. I could hear noise inside. "Ryleigh! Ryleigh, are you okay? Open the door, please,"I begged. All I could hear is silence. "Zack! Rian! I need your help!"I yelled as I pushed against the door, trying to open it.

"What's wrong?"Zack asked. We had Logan's attention now. "Ryleigh's in there!"I said, feeling a lump in my throat. Zack knocked but again no response. He shoved his shoulder into it. The door gave way a little but it wasn't yet open. Rian pushed at it then Zack again. Twice more and the door broke open. The sight inside was an image I would never forget.

"Call 911!"I demanded as I walked toward the small frame on the floor, trying to avoid the blood, in a daze. Logan let out a sob and tried to push her way in when Rian pulled her back into his arms. She cried and thrashed around in his arms. Zack was on the phone with emergency services and Jack stood in the doorway, watching as I knelt down and felt for her pulse. It was very faint. She didn't have long now. I grabbed some towels from under the sink and tried to slow the blood gathering in a pool under her still body.

Tears streamed down my face. It took five minutes too long for EMS to reach us. By then I just hoped she was alive. Her blood coated my hands. They carefully took her out. I went with her after I washed my hands off. Logan was still crying but was a bit calmer now. I had Rian carry her to a rental car in the parking lot with Jack and Zack. I gave Rian my phone to call Tyler and Josh.

*******

The medics worked quickly over her body. They wrapped bandages over her arms as blood seeped through. I heard her heart beating much too slow on the monitor. It was weak. "Do we have any O neg up there?"a medic asked another. The other checked in an ice cooler but shook his head no. "Dammit!"he muttered. O neg, that's my blood type. "I'll donate. We have the same blood type,"I said. The second medic looked at me like I had three heads.

"Are you positive?"the first one asked me as I nodded. He pulled out a needle. "What are you doing? This is against protocol"the second medic spoke up. "I'm saving this girl's life,"The first one said as he tore open a package with his teeth. I didn't notice the pinch of the needle as it broke my skin. "ETA is two minutes!"the driver shouted. Sirens were blasting. He took three pints of blood and began transfusing them into Ryleigh's small body. All color had left her cheeks.

If possible, she looked even smaller. The bleeding had slowed but it seemed even as he added more that too much was coming out. The driver skidded us to a stop and came around. A team was assembled and waiting our arrival. Ryleigh was gone and I was left standing in the middle of the waiting room, all alone.

I found a seat and waited for the others to arrive. The came in a moment later and joined me. Rian passed my phone back to me. I opened Twitter and immediately knew what set her off. I don't normally give people the time of day as I try to ignore the hate but this went too far.

"Think before you speak. I hate to think of you as a fan in the fandoms. You attacked a girl from jealousy because she's a blood relative to Josh Dun. Screw you! Words do make an impact"

I sent the tweet and shut my phone off as Tyler and Josh came running up. Tyler's arm was now in a red cast. Logan sat quietly in the corner beside Rian. "Did you text Brendon and Sarah?"Rian whispered to her. I watched Logan's head bob up and down to say that she did.

"What happened?"Josh asked worriedly as he took a seat next to me. I pulled my phone out and showed him the tweet. "I didn't see it till it was too late,"I said, choking up. This was my fault, I should have paid attention. He just shook his head. We continued to sit there in silence, too afraid that if we spoke our reality would feel real.

Hours later, a doctor finally came out. "Dun?"he called out. We all stood and gathered around. "Ryleigh is gonna have a rough recovery ahead of her but I'm confident to say that she'll make it. We were able to transfuse three units of blood into her body and stitch up her wounds,"the doctor said. "Can we see her?"Josh asked. "Yes but she is resting, she's probably asleep. She'll probably be released sometime in the next couple days,"the doctor said. Josh nodded. "Has she ever seemed suicidal before?"the doctor asked. Josh shook his head no. "Do you have any idea what could have set this off?"the doctor asked. Josh nodded again but seemed too choked up to get any words out.

With that, the doctor turned around and left. A nurse approached our group and led us to an elevator that took us to the third floor ICU. We walked down a short hallway before stopping at her room. She looked so peaceful in her sleep. I just hope that she can bounce back from this. I pulled Logan into a side hug. She tensed up at first before relaxing into my hug with tears in her eyes as she saw her best friend in that hospital bed.

A/N: Hey y'all! I didn't know how soon this one would be out but it was actually easier to write than I thought. I hope you enjoyed. It's off to school for me again today. Much love!

B