Chapter 2

Standing outside the Hou family residence, a young girl contemplates going in or now. If I go in, my mom will kill me for not picking up her calls but if I don't go in I won't know if grandpa will give me back my bracelet.       

 Unbeknownst to CuiXiu, her mom is standing behind her, waiting for her daughter to make a decision. Alas, the older woman got impatient.

        "Are you going in or not?!" The yelling scares CuiXiu that she jump up in fright.

        "M-mom, why are you here?"

        "Why am I here? I'm your mom and this is our house, why can't I be here?! This child, I called you so many times but you won't pick up. How is mom supposed to not worry?"

        "Sorry, mom, but you call way too much. I just talked you 2 days ago on the phone."

        "That won't do. I want you to call me everyday and tell me what's going on. I'm afraid you might get into another accident."

        "Mom, I'm fine. Look, I'm still in one piece."

        "I don't care. You better listen to me."

        "Okay, I get it. Mom do you know why grandpa wanted me to come home?" Her mom look seriously at her for a moment and drags CuiXiu in. "Mom, you didn't answer me."

        "You should ask your grandpa about this."

Inside the traditional styled house, CuiXiu is brought to her grandfather, who is sunbathing in the garden. Actually he is mediating, but to CuiXiu, her grandpa might as well be sunbathing.

        "Look who decided to finally come back." The elderly man with the long goatee beard stands up and turns around to greet his family's only female offspring.

        "Grandpa, it's not like I've been away for years, it's only been a couple of months."

        "You and your mouth, always know what to say back. Nevermind that, I have something that you might want."

        "My bracelet?" CuiXiu face lights up in anticipation. Her grandfather signs at her behavior.

        "You only have your bracelet in your heart and not your old grandpa." He shakes his head while saying this in a lamenting tone. CuiXiu grabs onto one of his arms and acts spoiled to appease his mood.

        "Grandpa, your granddaughter is always thinking about your wellbeing, don't get upset."

        "Fine, fine." He hands out a small box to her. "Here is your bracelet." CuiXiu reaches for it, only to be stopped.

        "Grandpa." She cries out.

        "Wait a second. You need to be more careful with this bracelet or else the consequences will end up harming you." His warns her with serious eyes. CuiXiu nods quickly and receives the box. Opening it, inside is a silver bangle engraved with intricate details of flowers and leaves.

        "Thank you grandpa!" She runs off with her bracelet fixed and back in one piece again. Running out the door, she passed her mom who yells at her to stay for dinner at least but only an answer of 'next time' is heard back.

Skipping along happily, CuiXiu accidentally bumps into someone else walking on the only cobblestone road.

        "Sorry." She apologizes and walks on her merry way without a second look, but the stranger stands still and stares at her departing figure with eyes that hold a deep longing.

        "I found you." He reaches for her, but stops, turning away, he continues to walk with each step echoing into the ancient buildings.