extra

Had some extra thoughts about the YuZhong in the past after Cui'er died. Here it is.

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\ (ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        "She's dead."

        Who knows how long YuZhong held onto her corpse. The battle has long been over yet he stayed there, not letting go, lifeless as the woman lying in his arms.

        "Wang Ye..." The servants try to get him to move, to finally put her to rest, yet nothing.

Then there was a sudden movement.

        "Call the shaman!" She has been dead for less than a day, perhaps her soul could be called back, this was his wish. He carried her to the bedroom, placing her down ever so gently. The loud ringing of bells was heard, he turned to see the shaman rushing in.

       "Shaman, call back her soul!" His command was absurd, but this was his last hope.

        The shaman looked at the motionless woman and with a wave of movement, started a dance to call for the recently departed soul, only to stop abruptly. No use, the soul has long been departed from this world, already entered the cycle of reincarnation.

        "She's dead." These two words pierced his heart with the greatest pain.

        "Take him away!" He waves a hand and at his command, the servants came to take the shaman out of the room.

        "Cui'er, I remember how you looked on our wedding day. The red made you look so lovely, but the red you have on now doesn't fit." He smiled, yet it was such a heart-wrenching sight. "Let husband change it for you, then I'll paint your portrait, I had once promised you this."

        Her bloodstained clothes were changed to her wedding robes, her makeup done exquisitely, covering up the paleness that death has brought to her face. He started to paint. With each stroke of the brush, the woman in her red wedding robes started to take form on the paper. The likeness was similar, yet he wasn't satisfied.

        "Husband lacks the skills, I couldn't bring justice to your beauty. No matter, I'll paint another one until I get it right." Like that, the young man seemly went mad.

        He had an ice bed crave for her and sent out people to find the ice pearls, legendary beads which were said to stop the rotting of a corpse. And he kept painting. He was never satisfied. He had the finest paper, the richest inks, and the most nimble brushes, just to paint a portrait of her likeness.

        "Cui'er, it's finally complete. Come look at it and see, I've kept my promise." The man laughed. His hair, completely white, despite only 10 years since that day. The next day, Murong YuZhong ceased to be.