Chapter 4

"Morning classes are so tiring." CuiXiu complains as she stretches her arms.

        "That's so true." JaiLi leans back on the chair. "Oh yeah, you said that you found a new job?"

       "Yep, but I need to go and apply first."

        "Huh? Then you didn't, you just saw another Help Wanted sign again."

       "That's right. In fact, I should be going now."

       "Okay, good luck! Don't quit so early again!" With questionable encouragement from JiaLi, her so-called best friend, CuiXiu goes to complete the challenge of getting a part time position at the new tea shop.

       Opening the door, CuiXiu looks around at the empty store.

       "Hello? Is anyone here?" As she surveys the interior, CuiXiu gets surprised from a sudden voice.

       "We're not open for business yet." It is a voice that could only be described as a crimson velvet that is cool to the touch. Swerving around, CuiXiu beams out a smile to the attractive young man. For a second he thought that maybe she remembers him.

       "Hello, I'm here because of the sign on the window." And that tiny bit of hope shatters.

        "You're here to apply? I'm the owner." Of course she doesn't remember. He holds out his hand. She slips her hand in for the handshake.

        "I'm CuiXiu."

        "I'm...you can call me YuZhong." The moment their hands make contact, CuiXiu gets a slight shock but thinking it to be static, she brushes it off. Rummaging through her bag through her bag, CuiXiu pulls out her resumé and hand it to YuZhong. "Can you start tomorrow?"

        "Really? I mean, yes sir!" CuiXiu smiles brightly at her new boss.

        When JiaLi returns to the dorm room, the first thing she sees is the pile of snacks on CuiXiu's desk.

        "You got the job?" JiaLi asks, taking her favorite chocolate bar from the pile.

       "Yep, how did you know? I didn't even tell you yet."

        "You and I, how long have we known each other? Of course I would know, why else would you buy so many snacks?" JiaLi shakes her head knowingly.

        "As expected of JiaLi, you know me best!"

        "Speaking of that, although we've known each other this long, I still have no idea what the big mystery of your family's 'special ability'."

       "Ah! You're still hung up about that? Most people would be over by now."
      "15 years we've been friends, Hou CuiXiu. Don't you think I should know by know?" JiaLi raises an eyebrow at her. "And don't try to pass it off as some weird secret magic trick, I've been around your family long enough to see that there's something strange."  A distressed CuiXiu struggles between telling JiaLi the truth or brushing it off again.

        "Okay, I can tell you but on just one condition."

        "What? There's still a condition?"

        "Of course, it's a family secret I can't just tell it to anyone, not even you." JiaLi sighs. It has been bugging her since the time she was 8 and saw one of CuiXiu's cousins appear and disappear right in front of her eyes.

        "It's simple: you need to marry someone from my family." CuiXiu states bluntly. JiaLi does a double take at her friend and tries to reason with herself that no, CiuXiu is not crazy.

        "You're kidding me."

        "Nope. Since it's a family secret, of course you would know once you become family." CuiXiu smiles. Now she won't bother me about this anymore. JiaLi stands there in thought.

        "It doesn't seem bad to me." This statement freezes CuiXiu and now she's the one trying to make sure her friend isn't crazy. "I've seen your cousins and all of them are quite the catch if what your mom tells me is true."

        "You're not being serious?!"

        "Relax, I won't marry into your family just to find out the secret." CuiXiu breathes a sigh of relief that JiaLi wasn't serious but then realizes the hidden meaning in what JiaLi just said.

        "JiaLi, you like one of my cousins, don't you?" CuiXiu smirks. At her smirk, JiaLi turns around.

        "I don't know what your talking about."

        "I knew it! Which one? My oldest cousin is married and 3rd and 6th have girlfriends, so is it my gentle 2nd cousin, the stern 4th cousin, or perhaps you looked upon my wild 7th cousin? If it's 7th Ge ("brother"), then I'm not sure I would approve."

        With a slight blush that's hidden from CuiXiu who's facing her back, JiaLi shakes her head no.

        "Didn't you forget one?" She mumbles softly.

        "Did I? Oh! You mean 5th Ge ("brother"). He's been studying abroad in America since he was 15, so you haven't seen him since you were 11. Wait a minute, you mean you like my 5th cousin? For 9 years?" The blush on JiaLi's face gets stronger, the red reaching her neck which Cui Xiu can see clearly.

        "Not exactly. I saw him 4 years ago when he came back after finishing high school."

        "Oh, right. Now that you've said it, he did come back that time." CuiXiu grinning for more information, she sneaks up on her friend to ambush her with tickles. "Come on, tell the good stuff, did you two start dating behind my back?"

Answering between laughs, JiaLi has to hold CuiXiu hands to talk clearly.

        "I only asked him about helping me with my summer English homework."

        "Really?"

        "Really."

        "I'll believe you for now." CuiXiu is satisfied for getting off topic since she might actually end up telling JiaLi the family secret one of these days.

        Walking into the store, CuiXiu's dark circles are so prominent that she could pass for a panda. Seeing this, YuZhong decides she should get some rest.

        "Rest for a bit, we're not opening just yet." YuZhong smiles gently at her. This action causes CuiXiu to look up at YuZhong with admiration twinkling in her eyes.

        "Thanks Boss!" She then immediately falls asleep in the breakroom. While CuiXiu is in dreamland, YuZhong covers her with a blanket. Once the blanket touches her, CuiXiu stirs a bit and mumbles something incoherent. Cute.