Chapter 12

"How is she?" YuZhong asks Hou YiYu, the youth's face had concern all over. YiYu shakes his head.

"The demonic energy came suddenly and it has affected her emotions quite a bit." YiYu explains.

"It's him, I know it is. Peng Meng. His spirit has lingered far too long." YuZhong clenches his fist, angry that Peng Meng still haunted them.

"He has been a spirit for so long and with so much hatred towards the two of you that his soul no longer has the right to reincarnate. It's been tainted with demonic energy." YiYu states."What happened with YiLan was the same. To be more specific, YiLan was Peng Meng's incarnation. It was his last chance of redemption but unfortunately, he failed." YiYu further explains.

Eyelids twitching, Hou CuiXiu wakes up in her room. Her emotions no longer out of control. Knocking on her door, YiYu and YuZhong walk in. This time, CuiXiu is calm.

"Xiao Ciu, how are you feeling?" YiYu ask his youngest cousin.

"Fine." She replies solemnly, staring down at her bed. They had eliminated the demonic energy from her system so she has calmed down. Then she looks up towards YuZhong.

"YuZhong, why did you come here? Was it because of what happened in the past?"

"...Yes and no." He replies hesitantly.

"Then what do you want?" she furrows her brows. YuZhong looks at YiYu for a second as a signal for him to leave. YiYu understanding the situation leaves the two of them alone in CuiXiu's room.

"CuiXiu, from the very beginning everything was my fault. To me, it doesn't matter the last life or the next, you will forever be the one for me. This life, what I owe you has always been my heart. I caused you to suffer and I hoped that you wouldn't remember, that was my fear. I knew that if I stayed away from you, you would probably never recall those painful memories but I was unable to resist being drawn to you. Every time you smile, my heart feels such relief that you're able live your life without the burden of remembering the pain that I caused you. All I ever wanted to do was protect you, but in the end I was the very person who hurt you the most. It was my selfishness that kept me close to you, if you want me to leave then please, let me be selfish this one last time, even if you have come to despise me," YuZhong confesses his feeling and concerns to CuiXiu, bearing his heart to her.

"What use are these words?" She attempts to hold back her tears but one manages to escape. She doesn't want to believe him but her heart says otherwise. Gently, he wipes away her tear.

"I've waited for you since you were punished because of me, and I waited once again when you died." The pain in his voice is evident.

"What do you mean?" her voice cracking from the pent up emotions.

"You were originally never supposed to experience the pain of human suffering again but you risked it all for me."

"YuZhong, what are you saying?"

"I died and left you alone, lonely on the moon with only your rabbit to accompany you. It was foolish of me to take in Peng Meng." As he talks of his guilt, CuiXiu starts recalling memories beyond the ones that were sealed before. It is the memory of the soul. Her soul is finally whole once again. The last piece fuse together and she is now completely 'her'.

"Don't say anymore, it was never your fault stop blaming yourself. I was the one who ate the pills. It was my choice. It was also my decision to resurrect you even if I had to go against Heavenly law." Her tears keep on flowing as she finally remembers: who she is and what she has done.

"Cui'er?" His voice shook. You...

"I had to live an immortal life while watching you, as a mortal, die. Without you, the world became cold and meaningless. HouYi (from Chinese myth; link below)." She smiles, with cheeks stained with tears.

"Chang'er(from the same myth). You-"

"I remember. I was the one willing to do it even if my soul was to be shattered into pieces, to me, you were worth it."

"Chang'er, I searched for the pieces of your soul, constantly, but the very last piece, I could never find. When I had to undergo tribulation of divinity, I had to leave your soul with Siming. She was your good friend. But I didn't know I would hurt you again."

"Perhaps it was all the workings of fate. AnPing GongZhu was the last piece of my soul and your tribulation brought you down to the human realm only to have us meet again. HouYi, in this life, don't leave me by myself anymore. It was lonely those thousands of years without you."

"Chang'er, I promise you. This time, I intend to keep my promise."

Link to myth: http://english.gov.cn/news/2014/10/06/content_281474992818307.htm 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, here's the end.⊂◉‿◉つ

Stay in tune for the epilogue! (¬‿¬)