Chapter 1

The day was hot and dry, Remus Lupin noted as he walked down the pavement, and he wasn’t quite sure he liked it.

He dragged his trunk behind him, apologizing every now and then when it blocked the pathway of a passerby on the busy street. The walk to the train station was always a long one, but under the hot sun it seemed to go on forever. He grumbled loudly as he continued on his way, ignoring the strange looks others gave him. Yes, he was aware he looked crazy. No, he really didn’t care. He only cared about getting himself and this damn trunk to the station before the train left without him!

He was starting to regret not taking Sirius up on his offer to walk with him. At least he’d then have a friend to talk to, instead of being left with his own thoughts as the only distraction from the ache in his muscles. The full moon had been five days ago, and while this one wasn’t quite as rough as others it was still unpleasant, and his poorly-healed cuts rubbed irritatingly against the fabric of his shirt.

The station. There it was. Jogging quickly across the street, he stepped inside the building with a sigh of relief. The temperature hadn’t changed by much, but it was nice to be out of the sun. Remus hurried towards platforms nine and ten, not bothering to pick up a cart. His trunk would be out of his hands soon enough anyways. Glancing around to make sure the coast was clear, he sped up a little as he jogged towards the wall that separated platform 9 3/4 from the rest of the station. Once passed through, he took a moment to straighten his shirt out before continuing to the train, searching for his friends as he dropped off his trunk.

It only took a few seconds before he heard his name being called, and whirling around he grinned when he saw two of his best friends, both tall and dark-haired, walking towards him. He moved to meet them, grinning as the taller of the two skipped forward and wrapped an arm fondly around his neck, pulling him close. 

“Moony!” Sirius exclaimed, the two standing still as James caught up with the them. He rolled his eyes as Sirius linked arms with him as well before dragging the two towards the carriages, the three squeezing through the crowds of people to board the train. They walked through the halls, searching for an empty compartment. They passed several filled ones, one time walking inside one only to find a girl there who snapped at them until they left. Finally they located an empty one, rushing in before anyone else could and slamming the door behind them.

“Where’s Peter?” Remus asked as he sat down across from Sirius and James, stretching his legs out along the seat until the fourth member of their group appeared. Sirius shrugged, glancing over at James who shrugged back, looking just as clueless.

“We figured he wasn’t at the station yet- I’m sure he’ll appear soon.” He said confidently,  and Remus nodded, feeling mildly skeptical as he turned his attention to the window, looking out at the busy platform. Parents were hugging their children, siblings teasing each other and running around the station. Remus smiled slightly before turning back to glance at Sirius and James, raising an eyebrow as the two bickered over leg space, both trying to prop their legs up onto the lap of the other.

“You two are as bad as children.” Remus tsked, shaking his head at the two in amusement when the compartment door slid open, revealing a red-faced Peter. 

“There you are!” James said with glee, shoving Sirius’s legs off his lap roughly. Sirius made a small huff of annoyance, shoving James back before moving onto the seat next to Remus, barely giving him time to retract his legs before Sirius sat down, arms crossed over his chest and his bottom lip stuck out like a toddler whose toy had been taken from him.

“Sorry for being late.” Peter sighed as he sat down next to James, slumping in his seat tiredly. “The crowd was a pain to get through- And you didn’t choose the easiest compartment on the train to find. It’s so far back.”