Chapter 1: I Can't Do That Miss Roselake

Chapter 1 – I Can't Do That Miss Roselake

"Robbie! Robbie! Give it back please!" I shouted as I ran out of our bedroom chasing after my 6 year old brother. "Haha! Haha!" He shouted back. His black hair and brown eyes only gleaming with joy. I had to admit I was chuckling too. Him and his little Spider-Man tank top and matching shorts he loved so much. "Robbie please!" He had gotten to the end of the hallway. "Robbie! I'm serious this isn't funny! I need it back!"

He had taken my script for the movie role I was going up for soon. And by soon I mean I was about to audition for it that day. "Robbie!" I chased him out of the hallway and into the living room. "Come here!" I closed up on him and tackled him onto the couch. I began to tickle him. "Ahhh!" He was laughing. "Ahhh! Ok! Ok!" His white teeth shimmering. "Take it!" I grabbed it out of his hands. Robbie was laughing and the script wasn't too wrinkled so I guess I was smiling just as much as him.

'Miles for Violets' it said in big bold letters on the front. It was a romance movie and I'm not just talking a short film for school or something. It was an actual movie going to be played in theaters and make millions. And I had part of the script for it right in my hands. I was just staring at it now. I had made the call backs so I knew I already had beaten out a hundred other girls but I don't know if it was the fact that I was going to compete for the lead amongst the best of the best girls or that I would be doing so in less than three hours. But all I knew was that I stopped smiling.

"Hey you're going to do great." I turned around and looked into the office. My older brother Gunnar was sitting at the computer surrounded by papers. "Thanks. I hope so." I smiled kindly at him. I didn't even notice he was there or that he was even home. But then again I haven't left the bedroom the whole morning. I was just practicing and practicing.

"You have rehearsed that damn thing over and over again. You've got this. You're an experienced actress!" "I've acted in commercials and a couple low-end B rated movies as the supporting actress. This! This is nothing compared to that. I have absolutely no idea why I'm even trying when huge actresses are going to be going for it." "Because you're good!" Robbie shouted from the other end of the couch.

He was the purest little child ever. "Yes, because you're good." Gunnar smirked at me. "Thanks." I genuinely looked at him. "But I still have no idea how I'm supposed to fucking do this." "Hey I think they'll love you if they don't hear your cursing." "But cursing is what I fucking." He rolled his eyes at me. Oh Gunnar, his black hair slicked back and his dark eyes matching his dark tee. I never saw him at home anymore. He was always working his ass off painting and building sets. It made me wonder where Nico was.

"So where's Nico at?" "He's at Paramount. Decided to pick up a few extra shifts over the weekend. He really was in zone when we left yesterday. I guess he couldn't wait to finish on Monday." "Sounds like him." Although he was two years younger than Gunnar, he worked just as hard as him. I could see Gunnar working hard at the computer still surrounded by papers. "Whatcha doing?" "Just looking at paint colors online. Trying to find a perfect red for the house door I have to make." His eyes were squinting back and forth off the papers to the computer screen.

I knew he wasn't looking at paint colors and I knew Nico didn't just go into work that day because he was 'in the zone'. It was the same reason why they work as set carpenters and why 18 year old me and 6 year old Robbie shared a room. We were running low on money. Gunnar was looking at the bills we had to pay. That's what all the papers around him were. Bills.

I guess Gunnar refuses to tell us. I knew we didn't live in the nicest house or wear the nicest clothes but, it was still sweet that Gunnar was trying to protect us from the truth. I guess he figured I'm three years younger than him and he was almost two decades older than Robbie so he's gotta protect us. He has been doing that since dad left with some other woman two years ago and especially since mom died a year ago. He was always protecting. I guess because to Robbie he really was the parent.