Chapter 11: The Ferris Wheel Scene

Chapter 11 – The Ferris Wheel Scene

"I'm sorry."

I was sitting behind the counter like I had always done with Wes. Like it was something I had done forever. But I was so nervous this whole time. I had messed up so badly between the two of us. I felt terrible about it. But it just was like the press interviews, I needed to be delicate with the situation and to just be polite. Oh fuck, I wasn't really good at that.

"I know." Wes finally let out. "I just don't understand why you couldn't have told me earlier instead of just continuing to date me." "Wes I-I really care about you. I-I really do. Like you're my best friend how could I not? I really do love you. I do. I just didn't know what was going on inside my head and what I was feeling. I'm so sorry. I really messed up." "Yeah, you did. But how could you not know that you liked me?"

"I love you Wes I just think I mistook that for being in love with you. I really care about you and that's probably why I thought I was in love." "I know I know." He just lowered his head down and nodded. "I feel so bad. Just so you know I didn't cheat on you with Amber. Nothing happened between the two of us. Nothing like. Nothing. I know that dance we shared was too much. It really was but that was it. We never kissed or anything." "You're not lying to me?" "No. No. No." "Ok... I'll believe you." He went back to lowering his head. "Thank you." I just kept looking at him. I didn't know how to make this better so I just sat quietly.

He finally looked up. "But how could not tell me that you were having these feelings towards girls?" "I just didn't know what to tell you. I-I really didn't. Yes I was questioning it but it didn't have to do with anything that you were doing. You weren't doing anything wrong." "I just wish you would have told me." I let out a sigh. "So do I." "...How long have you known?" "Like about two months. Like since we broke up." "Are you and her dating?" "Yes. But I didn't mean for it to happen like this." He just nodded his head.

"I won't tell anyone if that's what you're worried about." "No Wes. I don't really care who knows. But Amber does." "Don't worry I won't." "Thank you." "But like uh, a couple weeks ago, when I saw you getting out of her car, you just you looked so happy. Like truly happy. I hadn't seen you look that happy before. And I watched you as you got this movie role." Oh Wes. I was almost crying he was so sweet. Instead of being mad that I was with Amber, he was just happy I was happy.

My eyes were welling up so I stood up trying to look away from him. "Lyss, why you crying?" "Why are you so goddamn nice to me even after I do all this to you? Like what the hell man." He stood up and gave me a big hug. I just cried into his shoulder for a minute. He was too damn nice. Always such a gentleman. Just honestly a good guy. I put him through so much crap and he still comforts me. "I'm sorry." "It's ok Lyss. I've had a lot of time to think over these two months and I understand." "I really just want us to be friends again and and like just talk how we we used to and and hang out here and joke around all the time. I missed you so much." I sniffled through the whole sentence and I wasn't sure he could really understand me. And yet after everything I put him through he just uttered: "I missed you too."

"So I fixed things between Wes and I!" I shouted cheerfully in the middle of the cobblestone road and vintage lighting in Roselake. "Really!" Amber seemed just as happy as I was as she flopped into the alley way with our cheesy fries and a Dr. Pepper. "Yeah like he totally forgave me and everything like he said he felt happy for you and I." Amber stared at me for a second. I knew what she was worried about. Of course she was worried about it. I sat down next to her. "Don't worry he said he wouldn't tell anyone and Vince just thinks I like you. That's all who knows." "Ok good." That didn't make me feel any better. I think Amber could tell.

"I'm glad you and Wes are talking again." She reached out and held my hand. "Yeah me too." I sounded disinterested. "Lyss I-" "I know Amber. You didn't mean it like that. I know." I let out a gust of air as I sat there in silence in that fake alley way. Yet I still let her hold my hand as she stroked her thumb against it. "You know I-I wish we could go out there and hold hands like this in public too. I wish I-I could kiss you and hug you and touch you and not have to worry. I really wish that too Lyss." "You know we can Amber." I looked over at her and she was just staring at the floor. I knew her answer. "I really appreciate you doing this for me. I really do. I know it's hard. But thank you so much for putting up with all of this." It honestly made me really sad that we were keeping this a secret. But I just cared about her so much.