#8 Just a Spark

Preston was still unconscious when the wagons were attacked. For a second, he thinks that he's still in the castle when he wakes up to yelling. The dank surroundings quickly remind him of his capture. And Rob's death. It sends a sharp pain of grief through the soldier, but Rob wouldn't want Preston to just lay down and except defeat. He has to believe that there's a reason that he survived.
     "What's going on?", one of the other prisoners shout above the noise. Four other people are with Preston in the wagon. One is obviously a noble, two soldiers, and the last person must be a pedestrian.
     "Some of the wagons are pushed over", a soldier says, squinting through the wagon cracks. Preston pushes himself up with a groan. He tries to look through the boards to see what's going on.
     Prisoners have gotten out during the attack. Preston sees the last attacking troops and a young boy fleeing. One of them is shot down before the rest make it to the tree line.
     "Looks like some prisoners got out", Preston speaks up, "I don't think they got up to this wagon". The noble swears. "Hey, at least they tried. The more who are free, the sooner we can take back the capital", Preston says to him.
     "You don't get it? It's over", a soldier argues with him.
     "It's not over if there's even one person still fighting", Preston snaps back, his voice full of defiance. The other prisoners see no point in arguing. None of them still have the faith that he has. Preston is certain that the rest of his unit are free, even Jerome. They won't give up. Preston won't give up on them.
     All of them jump back when the doors suddenly swing open. One of the soldiers almost bolted for escape, but froze after seeing the four armed guards. Not a words is said as two more people are loaded into the wagon. Preston can't tell who the first is, but they're older then him.
     The second makes Preston's heart skip a beat. It's just a kid! The twelve year old slowly climbs up into the wagon. The oversized coat makes it hard to tell, but Preston's almost positive that he's injured.
     The kid slumps against the wall only feet from the closing door, coincidentally inches from where Preston had sat back down. The wagons start moving soon after. Preston watches the other prisoners' dazed expressions. It's been a traumatizing few days, and nobody is too keen on talking.
The silence suffocates Preston. He keeps glancing at the poor kid in the corner of his eyes. He's curled up with his face in his knees. How badly hurt are they? So do they not want to talk? Indecision gnaws on Preston's mind. He finally decides to with a softer approach.
"Hey, are you ok?", Preston whispers, his voice only loud enough for the kid to hear. They stiffen at being addressed. He hesitates before trying again. "Are you hurt? Can I check to see your wounds?".
The kid doesn't respond right away, but slowly nods and lays his legs out flat. He surprises Preston by pulling they're hood farther down. Preston hesitates before unzipping the boy's coat. He was expecting to find bruises, or maybe it was just the same brand that ached on Preston's shoulder.
He didn't expect all the blood. This can't possibly be all of his! Preston can make out the blood soaked bandages wrapped around the boy's torso.
"Is it ok if I take off the bandages? I don't know how bad the wound is", Preston eventually says. He was frozen for few seconds after seeing all the blood. The kid nods slightly, still hanging onto his hood. Preston is a little sickened when he grabs onto the bandages. Even mostly dry, the blood feels sticky. It's good that no one else is paying attention.
The bottom of the kid's shirt is practically cut clean off. Fresher blood stains the rest. The wound ought to have killed him it there was this much blood. By holding up the torn clothing, Preston can finally see the wound. It doesn't look like a stab or a slash. Too shallow for a stab, too small to be a slice. And definitely not serious enough for all this blood. Preston assumes that the poor boy had fallen into a puddle of someone else's blood. This injury must have happened before the attack. It won't be fatal unless infection sets in.
"It doesn't look too bad. Give it a couple of weeks", Preston say to the boy, "It's almost clotted now". He cringes at rewrapping the soiled bandages. They'll need to get something cleaner.
The kid seems surprised at the report. He lets go of his hood to look up at Preston. The soldier can see part of his face. Where are those brown eyes familiar from? Being one of the more skilled units, Preston's team had often worked in and around the palace.
They both realize who the other is at the same time. Preston remembers escorting Prince Adam to his room on several occasions. He always liked the smiling and energetic prince.
     "Preston?", Adam mumbles, sounding almost scared. The two don't know each other super well, but he shouldn't have to be afraid.
     "Yes! Yes, it's me Ad-", Preston starts, but he stops mid sentence. He's shocked and amazed that the prince is alive and here with him, but he glances nervously at the other prisoners. Preston is scared to let Adam's real name be known. What will happen if the squids find out who he is?
      "..... Sky. Call me Sky", Adam mumbles, getting the hint.
     "Sky. It's really good to see you", Preston smiles. He scoots a little closer to the boy, who leans up against him after a few seconds. Both of them take comfort in seeing a familiar face. Preston's hopes have been answered. He's alive to protect Adam, who can one day take back their home. He's far from giving up.
The wagon traveled for another three days. All the prisoners would be let out for three minutes once every day of the journey. They were also given rations of water and food. Preston and Adam never talked much through the trip. They both had so much to process from the days before.
When the wagon finally reached its destination, Preston was awake with Adam sleeping against him. The prince has been sleeping for most of the trip. It was a little concerning, to say the least, but Preston didn't want to disturb him. The doors swing open just as Adam starts waking up. All the prisoners flinch at the bright light.
     "Alright, all of you get out", a squid barks at them. They're armed with a sword, no doubt with others nearby. Preston stiffly climbs out of the wagon. All his joints are sore from disuse. Adam swiftly climbs down after him. The prince's wound seems not to be bothering him anymore. Person never unwrapped it after the first time, but it's not humanly possible for it to heal that fast.
The sun is just starting to set. Preston can't help but gawk at what's in front of him. A massive mountain range stretched out into the distance. This must be the east coast of the continent. The entire side of the mountains drop into the ocean. A large, squat building is nestled at the base of the closest mountain.
GoldenEye had set up the massive structure to house miners. The entire mountain ranged served the continent as one big mineral mine. The job is dangerous, and workers were paid well. Preston doesn't think that the squids will be paying anyone after their take over. How long were they planning this? The attack on the castle was so organized, and they knew exactly what they were going to do with prisoners. Large watch towers are under construction, making a half circle perimeter in front of the mining camp.
     "I don't think those are for decoration", Adam mumbles. He stands next to Preston as the prisoners are lined up. They're all getting their hands tied to their backs.
      "Do you think we could make a break for it now? This might be our only chance", Preston whispers back. It's not a second later when one of the prisoners bolt forwards, thinking the same thing. An arrow comes streaking into the prisoner's back. Preston slaps a hand over Adam's eyes when they fall straight down. The prince flinches against him and hides his face, shaking.
No one else tries to run. Preston glares at the Squid who ties his hands together with rope. They only advert their eyes and move onto Adam. The prince doesn't show any signs of resisting. He's physically and emotionally drained.
All the tied prisoners are marched into the large facility. The place is crawling with squids. Such a fast and total take over is shocking to see. The squids had tied ropes around the entire continent. All at once, they had tightened and strangled everything.
Most of the building had been rooms for the miners. Now, every door has three separate locks and no furniture. Miners go from inside the building right into the mountain. Melting snow and food shipments bring the supplies that the base needs.
Most of the continent's minerals come from this mine. Coal, iron, gold, and the rare diamonds are shipped daily to the rest of the continent by wagon. The mine is extremely valuable.
Preston hates it all. He would never choose to work in a place like this. Since the sun is setting, he can see the last of the miners exiting the gaping tunnels. Each is dirty and pale. Every single one has the new slave brand. Preston worries for the boy at his side. What is a place like this going to do to him?
The prisoners start getting divided into groups of five. Adam clings to Preston like a shadow, and they manage to be put in the same room with three other people. The two would never have the privacy that they needed to talk.
     None of them speak at first. It's a dreary realization that they'll all have to descend into the caves tomorrow. It's at least lucky that no standard clothing was given out. Adam's hood is pulled down to cover his face in shadows.
"Well, this sucks", one of the strangers mumbles. She sits down again the wall, one leg pulled to her chest. The other four soon sit down, as well.
"It could be worse. Not all of the wagons came here", Preston points out. That's true. Of the wagons that survived the attack, only three came to the mine.
"There's not much worse then dying in a collapsed tunnel", a man grunts. He's still dressed as a soldier like Preston, but they're all a little more covered in dirt.
"Chances are we'll all get trapped in a cave-in, but won't die right away", the other stranger says. He's thin, and looks like he should be wearing glasses. Obviously a servant or just a poor pedestrian.
"Oh come on, it won't be that bad. We just gotta be careful until we can escape", Preston argues, defiance and hope still alive in his eyes. Adam can't help but turn and look at him. Preston has more faith then he does. It helps the prince also feel like he can still do something for his people.
"I don't mean to be rude, but we're pretty much screwed. No one will leave this place alive", the woman says, sighing. That's what all the prisoners expected. In fact, that's what happened to the majority of them. More rebels were always found to replace the dead. It would be two years until anything would change.