#10 Not all Bad

The Piscus kingdom had been isolated for so long that most truly hated other hybrids and humans; the ones who lived only on land. There was very little contact with any others for centuries. As a result, some of the first Squid/Human hybrids were killed on their birth.
The war went on for twelve years before the attack on the palace, and now two years after. Piscus have been going to both kingdoms more then ever before. They were meeting with other species more then ever before. This lead to more..... interactions.
     One of the first children to be spared possed squid eyes, a blue tinge to their skin, but also small horns, talons, and a furred tail. The Piscus realized that a child like this could be a valuable asset in the war. It certainly startled the GoldenEye troops when 'demon children' fought against them. These anomalies were soon called 'Squid Numbers'.
      This nickname came from the new underwater facility built to contain the children. Although there's never very many at one time, all the Piscus half-breeds are given numbers instead of names. Many are either taken from their birth place, or other darker deeds bring them to the facility.
     In the facility, a young boy sits fiddling with the hem of his shirt. The room is made of prismarine bricks and a single sea lantern is imbedded into the ceiling. The child is sitting on a small bead with a threadbare mattress.
     Number Four is a bit of an oddity in the facility. He looks more human than most of the squid numbers. Usually the less squid genes you show, the less of a chance you are to be able to breath underwater. Four is lucky that he's able to breath so well with the gills on his neck.
      His files show his age to be 8, and a little shorter for his age. Four has splotches of blue on his arms, neck, and torso. His face is almost entirely human. The child's black hair ends in deep blue tips, except for the neon orange stripe down the middle. His eyes are also the same startling shade of orange. 
      Four's father was a soldier in the squids army, his mother an elemental sorcerer. The boy does not know this exactly, but he does remember their faces and voices. The squid numbers are usually found before they can grow old enough to remember. Four even knows what his name used to be.
      Quinten doesn't really know about the war that brought his parents together. He doesn't understand why he was dragged away from his mother's still body. None of the Squid numbers know why they're at the facility. Maybe they've all always been there? Quinten knows differently.
     The boy perks up when the water vibrates in his room. He pushes off his bed, touching back down right in front of the door. It swings back to show a full grown Piscus. She doesn't wear armor or bear weapons. Why would they around a bunch a kids?
"Come on, Four, most of the others are already in the main hall", she says jokingly. The squid numbers can't leave their room until she unlocks them. Quinten nods enthusiastically and hurries past her.
The blue-stoned hallway has doors on either side all the way down. Three other halls just like this one connect to the main room. Unfortunately, only one has children living in them.
Quinten swims fairly quickly for not having any webbed fingers or tentacles. Faster then a human, but nowhere close to a full-blooded Squid. His excitement might have also made him reach the hall in record time. The hall is built with an arching roof that rises 20 feet above the ground. Half the room is taken up by stone tables, but only one is currently occupied.
     Six other children are chatting to each other and waiting for their breakfast. Each one of them is some sort of hybrid mix, one being squid. They all appear to be between the ages of five and ten.
Quinten squeezes in next to the youngest, a small girl who's face lights up when he comes. She has brown hair and tortoise eyes, blue splotches all over her body. Both her hands are webbed with thin tissue. Number Seven has a large blue splotch on the side of her face and all around her gills.
     "Four! They said that we get more tests today", Seven nervously mumbles. The Numbers are regularly tested to keep track of improvement.
     "Again? We just had tests last week!", Quinten wines, frowning. Their conversation is interrupted by someone coming up with a large tray. The squid can't be older then his late teens, but his lanky frame makes him unsuited to serve as a soldier.
"Breakfast time", the teen awkwardly shouts, balancing the tray. He can't help but feel a little uncomfortable around the strange half breeds. It shows in his jerky movements. The kids are oblivious to this.
Fish makes up 70% of a squids diet. Raw fish. Quinten can't help but make a face. Even after years in the facility, he doesn't really like the taste or squishy texture. The sea plants aren't much better. Seven seems to enjoy both, so Quinten reluctantly eats his portion. He makes a face, and Seven laughs at the look.
     The squid who unlocked Quinten's room, Miss Laynath, comes back after most of the children have finished their food. Quinten can't bring himself to finish his plate today.
      "Ok, children. I need you all to follow me to the activity room. Now", she smiles. It makes Quinten feel a little uncomfortable. He still gets up and pulls Seven up, as well. She hangs onto his hand as Miss Laynath leads the children down a hallway. This one doesn't have any doors, but leads to another large chamber.
     The activity room is higher then the first. It's round with a semi circle platform over their heads. That part of the room is actually drained of water. Quinten only knows that is has something to do with air and water pressure.
     "Ok, children. Two laps around the room before we go up into the air pocket", Miss Laynath instructs. A few kids grumble, but none would disobey. Quinten reluctantly pushes up off the ground and starts swimming along the outside of the room. The other Squid Numbers quickly follow.
     Four definitely isn't the fastest. He doesn't have the webbed hands like most of the others. Fortunately, ha can breath just fine even when panting underwater from the exercise.
    Seven isn't so lucky. Water is normally a little thick for her to breath, but it really shows in physical tests. She's already coughing before the first lap is done. It's hard for her to get enough air to keep going. Quinten wants to stop and help her, but he got locked in his room for two days the last time that he tired.
     Four pulls Seven down onto the ground when she finally finishes. She's badly coughing and can't seem to catch her breath. Quinten nervously shifts on his feet and waits for Miss Laynath to let them go up into the air pocket. 
    She does, after watching Seven for a few moments. Quinten swims upwards and pulls the girl with him. The platform is only half the length of the room below, raised an inch above the waterlines. There are small holes in the ceiling that Quinten can see the sky through.
The pure air makes him light headed for a moment, but he quickly adjusts and climbs up onto the platform with Seven. His clothes are thankfully dry out of the water with the help of special fabric. Seven stops coughing and manages to catch her breath rather quickly
The other kids climb up as well with Miss Laynath following. The adult squid has dizzy spells while in the air pocket with the children, but it's gotten better over the years. One of the older children can't seem to find the ledge. Their vision is fuzzy out of the water, and Quinten goes over and pulls them out. The amber-eyed child is disoriented and dizzy while out of the water.
Quinten remains unaffected. He's the only squid number that doesn't seem to have a preference between water or air. The Numbers with heightened scenses would be prefect to track down rebels, but the two who could are easily confused on land. The facility is still trying to get Number Four to manifest his mother's abilities.
     Human shaped targets are lined up across from the platform's edge. Each is made of that special water proof paper, stuffed with feathers. It's become a game for the children to see who can tear them up quicker. They've had the same test for years. They're not very sturdy.
     Quinten would just sometimes knock it over and be done with it. Laynath didn't like that method very much. One of the oldest has claws and sharp teeth, preferring to rip the dummy into pieces. They weren't told what to do; only watched.
     As the dummies started to be mauled, Quinten couldn't help but notice one of the Numbers hadn't moved. Five looks to be the same age, with a slight blue tint to his tan skin, and a pair of tentacles. His ears come up into points and his eyes are the amber shade of most land-dwelling hybrids.
     Five is standing in place, gaze unfocused. He sways on his feet before collapsing. Laynath yells something, but Quinten doesn't hear. He's crouching down by the boy's side with no memory of moving. Four doesn't even notice when his orange eyes brighten till they're a few shades lighter.
     It's a problem with the air, Quinten's sure of it. Five's always had problems out of water. Four only wants to help. He just wants to help make him ok.
     All the voices around them are muffled, and the other squids are refracted when he looks up. A small sphere of water is surrounding Four and Five. Quinten's close enough to the platform's edge that the water reacted to the half-sorcerer's distress.
     He's shocked frozen. Four's never done this before. Yet, he can feel the water reacting to him. It's like an extension to his skin. The surface of the sphere hardens to slush with his fear.
     The entire water bubble pops when Quinten looses focus on helping Five. The other number is looking up in shock. He seems to be more aware after being in the water bubble.
     Miss Laynath's face contorts into a smile. This is exactly what she was hoping would happen with Four. He's the first half Piscus with a sorcerer's magic.
The rest of the children are sent to their room while Quinten nervously follows Miss Laynath up a long flight of stairs. Water abruptly drains out of the passage as the stairs continue. Quinten can't help but think that he's in trouble, but in reality, its the opposite.
"Four, meet your new teacher", she says, pushing open a door at the top of the stairs. The room is completely dry, one half looking like a bedroom with the other being some kind of work station. An old man is sitting on the edge of the bed, obviously startled to see Quinten.
Of corse precautions had been taken. The old soccer's tongue was cut out when the squids faked his death. And Four can't read. The best way to learn strong spells is from a more experienced sorcerer. This was to be Quinten's life for the next seven years.

A/N

     Wow! Quinten's character design is probably that best I've ever done. Can you imagine that hair? And he's not even an OC........ I need to get my friend to draw him.......
      Thoughts? What do you think of Four's parents?

(Author has no artistic talent)

This Chapter is dedicated to all my 'ghost' readers!