#43 The Assassin King

A/N
Warning!
Gore
Violence
Disturbing scenes

Red isn't afraid at all while striding up to the city gate. Two of his assassins are trailing behind in a huddle. Ian is right at his side. The squid soldiers on the wall take a good deal of time to notice them, even in the dark. A few of them hastily run down to the closed gate to meet them there.
      "That's close enough! Who are you?", one of the squids barks, drawing their sword. Red silently laughs. There's an entire wall between them, and the squid is still scared. One of the assassins pushes in front of Red to speak.
      "I'm sorry sir. We lost our horses a few miles back to some traitor soldiers. They raided our camp, so we had to come here", the girl pulls down her black hood. She's tiny, with light blond hair and big blue eyes. It also helps that she put on a necklace with lapis jewels.
     Anyone will fall for a pretty girl when she needs help.
     "GoldenEye rebels? Such scum aren't they? Taking whatever they want", the squid immediately tires to impress her. It's like he forgot about the three men. "You shouldn't be out in the cold like this, beautiful".
     That was about as easy as Red expected. The gate is quickly raised just enough for their small party to enter. There's no visible weapons on them, but they're there just the same. It takes all of Red's self control not to break down laughing. Or slit their throats.
     "My brothers need to get back home, but would you help me?", the girl bats her eyes, forcibly blushing and looking away, "I need to visit my older sister all the way across town".
     He buys it. He buys way into it. The blond assassin goes off with the squid guard blabbering like an idiot. Ian has to bite his tongue to keep from giggling. That guard will be dead by the time they reach the far wall.
     Most of the enemy troops are squids, but there are human troops as well. Some of them actually believe in the cause. Others are forced.
Red strolls down the street with a pep in his step. Ian is more stoic beside him, the other assassin peeling off to the east wall. The two Deaders take the west. There's a bigger gate on that side, and that's where the main attack will be.
      Walking down the street, Red isn't too impressed by the city's wealth. There's shops and places for vendors to set up, but it's only half the size of the capital. Red grew up in all the dark and dank places underneath the castle's shadow. This town doesn't have nearly as deep of holes. It makes the Assassin King feel out of place.
     Then again, Red reasons, his presence probably makes this place ten times as dangerous. Red's a major narcissist. There's no one here who shouldn't fear him.
     "What do you think? This seems pretty easy", Ian mumbles. He's constantly scanning the area. The sky is just starting to lighten. The other Deader doesn't bother to keep watch.
     "I had Gaby trained just for times like these", Red shrugs, "The soldiers are calling the shots on this one. I don't really care how well it works".
     "Even after all this time, it's hard to follow your thought process. I wonder what you want out of this mess", Ian thinks out loud.
      "Why didn't you ask? I'm not thinking at all", Red barks out a laugh. He loves listening to Ian try and reason out the crazy.
There's not many people out besides the enemy soldiers. The first person they spot is half hidden in the shadows of a building. Red spotted them first without even trying. Ian notices a few seconds later.
As far as anyone could know, the two are just brothers who ran home from a failed camping trip. There's no reason for anyone to be suspicious. Yet.
The man is dressed in a robe, of all things. Red thinks that gods are just excuses to not do things for yourself. Looking closer, though, the robe isn't exactly religious.
He's short, and a little scrawny, but his robe is a mix of many different colors. It has a red base with the other colors stitched in. The only place with yellow thread is a small pattern on his right shoulder. Clever. It doesn't look out of place at all with the rest of the outfit looking like trash. Red kinda likes it.
      The GoldenWing clearly knows that something's up with the two strangers, but he only smiles and disappears down the ally.
"Look at that! Dan's actually gone and done something useful. It would've been nice if he had done so twenty years ago", Red's smile shows everything except gratitude.
"You really don't like Lord Dan, do you? Maybe you'll tell me the story some day", Ian looks over. He's never seen Red put up with someone he hates. If Ian didn't know better, he would say that Red is scared.
"You'll know when one of us is dead. Or maybe I'll tell it to your grave. Whichever comes first", the Deader refuses to answer the question, "Now why don't you buzz off, little fly? We're almost to the wall".
Ian huffs before turning to the right. Red continues to the left. He's starting to get excited. Being cooped up in a camp of soldiers, ones that he can't kill, feels awfully close to a cage.
The city wall has multiple towers connecting the different sections. Red targets the closest one. He doesn't hesitate when the squid soldier at the tower door spots him.
      "Hey! Civilians aren't allowed-eh", they stop talking with a choking sound, a knife buried to the hilt in their throat. Red drops his arm and collects the knife from the body as he passes into the tower. He sniffs the wet blade before licking it just once. Maybe twice. He doesn't bother to try and hide his crime.
The first floor looks to be a break room is sorts. Three guards look up from a card game as Red saunters in. One is human.
"Hope I'm not interrupting, but you three have a date with the reaper", Red smiles. The guards jump up and fumble for their swords in a panic. The Deader lunges forward and drives his knife right into the first guard's stomach. He spins away and brings up his knife out of reflex. It's hard to block a long sword with a kitchen knife, but that's exactly what Red does. It makes his arm go a little numb.
The Deader resorts to his next weapon. He steps back and grabs at his shirt's neckline with his left hand. There's a small pocket stitched into his hoodie. Red pulls out the small needle inside. His dagger is still locked with the larger sword, but Red stings the guard's hand before dancing away. He did it all in a few seconds.
The Deader ignores the stung guard and ducks underneath the last one's blade. They're human, but obviously dedicated to the cause. Red slices their wrist right on the main vein. They lunge back with a cry of alarm, hitting the wall and sliding down. Baby.
Red ignores them for the moment and looks back at the guard he stung with the needle. They're already swaying on their feet as the snake venom flows rapidly through their system. It's imported all the way from Liblicen just for the assassin's keep.
"How are you feeling, friend?", Red cackles, "You're dizzy now, but you'll be blind in a few minutes. It won't kill you, but you may find anything physical to be a little harder".
Red doesn't kill all his victims. He sometimes permanently cripples them. The snake venom causes blindness and muscle to break down. They'll be too weak to cause any trouble. Savoring his fun, Red turns back to the human with the split wrist. He puts the needle back in the pocket for safekeeping.
"What about you? Why are you working for the squids? They're probably going to loose now", Red looks the kid over.
Can't be out of their early twenties, but they've had at least a little training. They grip their bleeding arm and look fearfully up at the assassin. Red interrupts them when they try to speak.
"It doesn't matter anymore. You're my assignment", he smiles. In the blink of an eye, Red is on top of the kid. He wraps both hands around their neck and squeezes. The kid struggles in vein to get the heavier man off him. Red watches every flicker of light leave their eyes before moving on.
What is life, anyways? Who says they can make it? Who says they should take it? What's freely given could also be freely taken back. At least that's how the Assassin King sees it.
     Red skips up the first flight of stairs, revealing a disappointedly empty room. The assassin smears a bit of blood on the wall for good measure. He then takes the next flight of stairs to the highest level.
This level is open to both sides so that guards can walk along the wall's entire length. A small roof is set up on four pillars that make up the tower.
The guard inside is sleeping. Red giggles, creeping closer. He wraps a hand around the squid's mouth and drags him back towards the stairwell. The guard wakes up disoriented and hardly puts up a fight before being thrown down the stairs. There's an audible crack when their neck breaks.
No one takes as much joy in the killings as Red. Each one is another tally on his scoreboard. The fans are cheering! Why doesn't anyone else hear how much they love him?
     He laughs out loud, not much caring for being heard. Let them come. They'll all die just the same. The other assassins should be finishing up by now. The Assassin King likes to take his time.
      Red hears footsteps pounding up the tower stairs. There's a lot of commotion when they find all the bodies. Red presses up against a wall and waits for them.
     The next guard comes up and doesn't see him. Red launches himself off the wall and kicks out, flying through the air on his back when he makes contact. He uses the guard as a springboard to jumps back as they flip over the side of the wall.
     The next guard arrives just in time for Red to land on. A slit throat does just fine every now and then. Dead is dead, but it can always be fun.
     There's blood everywhere now. It's all over Red's clothes, dagger, and staining his hair anew. His adrenaline is up, heartbeat pounding in his ears. He lives for this kind of rush. It's almost like a drug to him.
     Red stands up to get a good view of his next victim. The guards are a bit more weary and angry, two people coming up the stairs at once. Red freezes in place.
     There it is again. The crack of the whip will always send him skittering back. Playtime is over. Bad Red. Bad, bad Red. bad
                                 bad                                                                                               bad

                                           bad                                                         hide

                                                   bad                                                                                               did I do good?
                 bad
                                                                       red
bad                              
                                     no more                                              happy momma?

red
red
red

     One of squid guards carries a whip as their chosen weapon. It makes people scared, but he didn't quiet expect this intruder to freeze.
     Red stares a little longer, mind in chaos and the brink of snapping. His eyes are glazed over and he's barely breathing. And then he passes out.