#60 First Allies, Last Fight

"Adam?"
"No. You..... You're not him.......", Prince Adam steps back in disbelief. He can't tear his eyes away from the half Piscus. That face is so hauntingly familiar, but foreign at the same time.
"I-I guess I look a little different then you remember", Kyler runs a hand through his raven colored hair, "I actually thought wearing makeup was normal. Dad told me that it was rude to talk about".
"But..... you're here. And working for the squids? I thought you were dead!". It's shocking enough to know that Adam's brother is part Piscus, but it hurts much worse that Kyler is standing against him. Kyler's face hardened.
"Yeah, I've been here working with my grandfather. Did you know that Dad kidnapped a princess? I didn't even know what I was! Mom isn't even my mother! Where have you been all this time?", he glares. Kyler has been stuck under King Salaris's thumb for nine years. His Dad lied to him, and now there's been an entire new court to look down at his heritage.
"So what! My mother was a servant! At least you're a full royal and not a bastard like me", Adam snaps back. He's angry at Kyler for betraying his trust. "That's no excuse! What about Jason? What about Preston and everyone else? You could have gotten away from the squids. I.... I could've-".
Adam stops mid-sentence. Could've what? The assassin Sky turned his back on GoldenEye. He did nothing but watch for years. He's just as guilty as Kyler.
"You're suppose to be my enemy now, and I'm suppose to kill you. I can't be loyal to both of my parents", Kyler is conflicted, torn between his past and present.
"Then why can't you be loyal to me? I would never have turned my back on you, even if everyone said you were dead", Adam growls back.
     "I never doubted that you were out there somewhere. I never believed it when everyone said you were dead. Someday, I thought you were going to come back for me", Kyler drops his gaze, "But you didn't. You left me here. I don't have a choice but to obey. Salaris is looking for any reason to kill me off! I'm only alive because the Piscus General knows who I am. Royal blood is all that matters".
     "Kyler..... I was almost killed when the castle fell. Stabbed in the stomach. I don't even know how I'm still alive, never mind you", Adam's anger is starting to deflate. He's lived through hell, but so did his brother. "I lived a year as a slave in the ore mines. And then I really was and assassin for eight years".
"........ You weren't hiding out with the soldiers? Like the rumors say?".
"No. I wouldn't lie to you".
Both boys have snatched a few glances at their discarded swords by now. As of right now, they're still enemies. King Salaris left Kyler in the throne room to either kill Adam, or buy time for the king to escape. Nobody thought Prince Adam would actually break into the castle himself. The two don't really know how the other feels.
     "So are we gonna fight again? You weren't getting very far with killing me the first time", Kyler smiles just a little bit.
     "Yes...... No? God, you've made this really difficult. There's an entire army outside wanting me to kill off all the squid royals", Adam groans.
     "King Salaris is expecting me to turn up with your head, or he'll probably take mine instead. I don't know what else we can do", Kyler bites his lip. He doesn't hate Adam at all, but is it too late? Have they been on opposite sides too long? This new life is all he knows.
     "I don't suppose you'd be willing to run away?", Adam asks.
     "Adam, hate me all you want, but I am half Piscus. They're my people too, and I'm technically next in line for the throne. There are a lot of things wrong with how my grandfather does things. I have to fix that one day. I can't run away", Kyler stands firm. He's lived in this world for years. For his mother's sake, he has to try.
The GoldenEye Prince pauses, deep in thought. He finally steps purposefully towards Kyler. The Piscus Prince gears up for another fight, but freezes when Adam hugs him. After everything they've been through, both brothers are back here in the castle, together. That has to mean something.
"I tried, but I can't hate you, even if you are a squid. You're still my brother. If this ends with one of us dead, know that I could never hate you", he lets go and backs up.
     Adam doesn't know how to handle this situation. His brother is alive! He never dared to hope after how he had barely survived, but how can he end this war, take back GoldenEye, and keep Kyler safe? How can they both do what's best for their people? Humans and Piscus hate each other.
     The prince thinks back to what Oltin did. He's going against everything because he doesn't believe in the war. There was also Emickle, an archer unit commander who only wanted to protect his people. The Piscus are sick of this war just as much as GoldenEye.
"Kyler, I think I can fix this, but you have to trust me completely. We can't be fighting if you really want what's best for everyone", Adam forces Kyler to meet his eyes.
"What even is best for everyone? King Salris thinks that controlling GoldenEye will give his kingdom more power. I've been there, and this war is just destroying the economy".
"Both of us are going to have a lot repair work if we're gonna pull this off, but you can't be having second thoughts. Please, Kyler. We can do it together this time".
     The two stare at each other for an uncomfortable amount of time. Kyler feels betrayed by anyone and everyone who knew what he was. He's finally started to find a place in the Piscus world, but that could easily be ruined. Kyler cares for Adam, but is that worth the risk of getting himself killed? There are a lot of people depending on him to take his grandfather's place, including the General and his uncles.
     Kyler looks back up at Adam. He has to do what's best for his people, even if that means killing off his family.