#57 Another Reunion?

Now Adam knows why the Piscus looks familiar. Quinten is half human, but the resemblance is there. Falicia even saw it earlier.
     Quinten is obviously in shock, but for whatever reason, he looks like he's trying his best to be angry. Adam is extremely reluctant to say anything involving a situation like...... this. The others must feel the same, because there's soon a good bubble of space around the two Piscus as everyone discreetly steps away. The air is tense and uncomfortable.
     "Q-Quinten? Is that you?", Oltin stares at the half breed in wonder and disbelief. Quinten doesn't budge from his offense. Adam's never seen him so pissed off.
"Don't you mean Four? Huh? That's what they called me in the facility", the squid number snaps. His eyes are literally glowing in rage.
      "The facility.....", Oltin doesn't know how to react to Quinten's anger, "And you escaped? What happened? What about-".
     "With no help from you, father. I've heard all about the stories of all us half breeds. Do you know how many people died because of this?", Quinten interrupts him, all fear washed away by anger. 
     Adults like to gossip. There weren't as many squid numbers at the facility as were born. Most didn't make it that far. The Piscus wanted sorcerers in their army. Other mixes were just a bonus. They wanted weapons like Azeal.
     Quinten believes that the only reason he was born is because a Piscus King ordered it. There were lost of cases like that where the other parent was killed immediately after. What were his mother's last moments like? Quinten is only old enough to remember her voice. He has a right to hate his father for what he did.
"My Mom is dead because of you! Did you even care about what happened to us?", Quinten isn't looking for any sort of answer at this point.
     Oltin stares wide eyed, stumbling back a stepand covering his mouth as if Quinten had just slapped him. There's real horror and regret in his eyes.
     "I loved Jara........ she was everything to me. Is that what they want you to think? That I don't love you?", Oltin isn't mad at Quinten at all for his outburst. Rather, he blames this all on himself.
Four opens his mouth to snap something back, but stops when his father's words register. He wasn't  expecting this. He never thought that he'd see Oltin again.
     "I loved her more then anything. I-I was conscripted into the army. This war means nothing to me. I met Jara long before this whole mess even started", Oltin squeezes his eyes shut. "I wasn't there when they came for you. I'm s-so sorry. Nothing will ever make up for it".
Quinten finally takes a moment to really look at his father. Oltin's expression is miserable and his eyes look distant, like he's thinking of something else. Quinten can see his hands shaking ever so slightly. Oltin my be dressed like an enemy soldier and trained like a soldier, but he's no warrior. He's just an old man trying to get back to his family.
     "So...... you're working with the GoldenWings? Why would you risk being killed by your own king?", Quinten's anger is starting to drain away. He's not a violent person by nature.
     "Why else? The King is using my children to fight a war! I'm not the only one who's fed up with the killing. Piscus don't need land. There's four of us guards in the castle alone who are traitors", Oltin steps closer to Quinten when he sees the number's anger fading.
      "Wait...... children?", Quinten gets stuck on that one word.
     "You were three, and your sister Elana was only a few months old when they took you. You've seen her right?", Oltin immediately gets nervous and scared. He's never had any confirmation that his kids were alive until now.
"Seven...... she's my sister........", Quinten can only think of one number who's three years younger then him. It makes sense looking back. Four's always felt the need to baby her and look out for her. Quinten looks up at Oltin. He doesn't remember what it's like to have a family.
     The untimely reunion is interrupted when Ty awkwardly and purposely coughs into his elbow. The two Piscus, startled, turn their heads and realize that the rest of the group didn't magically disappear. They've just been standing and staring. 
     ".......... I didn't know you had a son", Falicia clasps her hands in front of her.
     "I should have just ran", Adam has a numb smile on his face. It's none of his business to watch this.
     "I might be a jerk for saying so, but we do still have a throne room to break into. Kingdoms to save and kings to slay, you know", Ty rubs the back of his neck. All he can do is think about his own dad now.
"Yeah, right. We should get to that", Quinten is embarrassed by his earlier outburst. There's a lot more going on right now besides his own family drama.
      Adam is relieved to be on the move again. Now that he's not watching Quinten, the prince is paying more attention to his surroundings. This is his home. The hallways hasn't changed at all. He remembers running through here and nearly knocking people off their feet as he played. It's a little eerie to be back after so long. After he joined up with the assassins, Adam never expected to be back.
     "Come on. There's a side entrance to the throne room just around the corner", Falicia takes the lead again. Adam feels suddenly silly for being guided around his own house.
They all stumble to a stop again when loud horns start to echo all over the castle. Adam recognizes them, but he's only ever heard them in maintenance checks.
"That's the alarm! It's either being used for what's happening outside, or somebody knows that we're in here", the prince quickly explains.
     He gets his answer when a unit of squids skid around the corner, stumbling in surprise to see the intruders. They're all armed and were previously running to join the battle outside.
     Oltin lifts up his sword and is immediately ready to defend Quinten. He chose his side long ago, and he'll stick to it.
     Quinten's hand is already moving. He lashes out his arm and pulls water vapor to form a ball the size of his palm. He hurls it at a squid and it sends them crashing to the ground.
     Adam and Ty both rushed forward to meet their enemies. The prince first smashes the but of his knife into a squid's nose. All the nerves there make it hurt way worse. Ty uses his blade to block another sword that was coming for Adam.
     After a month of training together, the two can easily read each other's movements. Ty doesn't even think about watching his back when Adam's there. One attacks, and the other defends.
The prince backs up a step and stows away his knife. He pulls out one of his short swords to use instead. Ty slips past a flashing blade and runs his own straight through a Piscus. There's no time for guilt or second guesses.
     Falicia doesn't know how to fight, never mind use a sword, but many of the Piscus hesitate in shock when Oltin turns his sword on them. He's been working in this castle for months.
     Seeing this, one of the squids actually turns and stabs the soldier right next to him. The Piscus are even more divided then Liblicen. They're on the brink of a Civil War, and everyone is starting to choose sides.
     All the enemy squids are soon dead or unconscious. It was quick work with the surprise attack. The traitor squid drops his sword and quickly turns to Oltin.
     "I don't know what the plan is, but you better get it done quick", they explain, "I think King Salaris is still in the throne room, but he's organizing a large group of soldiers to punch their way out the back gate. He's hoping to round up his troops outside the capital".
     "The GoldenEye units are grouped together in only small numbers to make it more confusing. A big attack could probably get though pretty easily", Adam bites his lip.
     "All the more important to get you to that throne room!", Falicia sounds confident, but she eyes the bodies with a little fear. The plan is for Adam and Ty to get to the King first. Quinten has to help Falicia, and now Oltin and the other Piscus, out of the castle.
     "Yeah, about that......", the street rat winces, "I don't know if I can be much help". He clutches his right arm tightly to his chest. There's a long slice going all the way down his forearm, bleeding heavily.
     "Idiot! I can't heal that all. Do you know how much magic it took to heal Azeal's wings and patch up the hole in Mitch's leg?", Quinten stares mournfully at the wound. It's not fatal with treatment, but there's no way Ty can swing a sword.
     "It's fine. I can do it alone", Adam is secretly grateful that Ty will be out of danger. "Besides, it'll look better if I do it myself. Reputation, and all that".
     "You better not get yourself killed", Ty grumbles. If they've come this far only for Adam to die now, Ty will never forgive himself. His parents both died for the cause, so why won't the prince let him do the same? It's frustrating.
Quinten wraps Ty's arm the best he can, staunching the blood with what little magic he does have left. Falicia urges the group to keep moving as footsteps and clanking armor echo through the halls. It's chilling to hear them all on their way to join the battle. This entire attack is all for nothing if Adam can't take out the king before he can call more troops.
      "This is the side door. It should take you straight to the throne room", Falicia stops in front a small servant's entrance. Adam doesn't mention the fact that he used to hide in the small hallway beyond.
     "Squids!", Ty's warning comes just a few seconds before soldiers turn the corner and see them. Quinten pulls Adam closer to the door as he yanks open.
     "I have enough magic left to freeze the door closed. Leave the rest to us, and don't let the king get away!", the squid number ushers the prince forwards and slams the door closed.
     Adam's then all alone in the dark. He can hear shouts from behind him, but he has to push his worry away. The king comes first.
     The hallway is less then ten feet long, and Adam's shoulders brush against the sides. He doesn't waste time in the passage and moves towards the other door.
     This is it. After years of running and fighting, this is the end. Adam is squeezing his sword handles so tight that his knuckles are tuning white. He opens the door.