#26 To Trust?

Lachlan drove the troops as fast as he could. The detour around the town ate up extra time, but it was necessary to keep a low profile. It would do them no good to have the squids send a larger force to counteract the troops.
       The General couldn't help but notice how tense Mitch had become since leaving the camp. He was deep in thought, and clearly not paying attention to anything else. Vikk could only shrug in confusion.
It's not unusual to see Mitch sink into long periods of silence. He's become much more quiet and withdrawn since the castle fell. All his childish behaviors are replaced with the cold and calculating Captain you see now.
      Still, Lachlan would say that he felt happy if the situation wasn't so dire. He grew up with Mitch, Vikk, and the others. Having the two with him now is like the old days. They're all about to get into some kind of mischief, and get yelled at by the castle guards' Captain. Lachlan feels stronger with them there.
      But there truly is blood staining his hands. Getting information from that squid Captain was crucial to stopping this attack. Many lives will be saved from Lachlan's actions.
      Screams still echo in his ears. The General's never had a violent soul. Those in power usually go cold to their dark decisions, but Lachlan hates all of it. It's because of his good heart that he's in this position. The squid Captain was executed as soon as he gave away information on the attack.
     The army never stopped to let those on foot rest. All the troops understood how important it was that they arrive as quickly as possible.
     Will Sky and Ty even be able to do anything to help? Those two could get into a lot of trouble if left alone. Lachlan has to believe that Sky's smart enough to pick his fights wisely. An assassin shouldn't risk their life for something like morals. Then again, Sky's had some pretty strange behaviors for a killer.
      The sun has been fully set for an hour by the time the army reaches the coast. Lachlan saw the lights first. Just a flicker through the trees.
     And then something drops right in front of him. His horse rears up a bit from shock, and Lachlan has to fight for a minute to get it under control.
     "Ty? Is that you?", Mitch recognizes the other soldier first. He looks tired and dirty, obviously scouting around the base's entrance. Ty's eyes look slightly haunted.
     "About time that you guys showed up! People are really starting to freak out", Ty grumbles. Lachlan didn't see any sign that he had been the trees. Ty's starting to act more like Sky in that way.
     "So the citizens are are out of the base? What happened with the attack? Is Sky around here, too?", Vikk instantly showers Ty in questions. 
      "I think it'd be better to see for yourself", Ty winces, "And no. Sky isn't here".
Lachlan gives the order, and Ty leads the troops over to the base's tunnel opening. The area is covered with families and their scared children. Amazingly, it doesn't look like anyone is crying over the dead. Could Ty and Sky really have saved them all?
Cheers to up when the troops are spotted. Some were wondering if Ty had been lying about their arrival. Lachlan quickly dismounts with Mitch and Vikk at his side. The base's leader quickly approaches them with Ty standing behind.
"Thank God you're here, General. Your two soldiers completely decimated the entire base", the leader says in a flat tone. He's in charge of all the people who've just lost everything they own.
"The squids would have followed us right up the tunnel if Sky hadn't done anything", Ty growls right back.
     "What happed here? From the moment that attack started", Lachlan straightens up in front of the two. He's a General, dammit. These people need his help. There's no time for arguing.
     "The entire underground was set on fire. Everything burnt pretty quickly, and most of the smoke is already gone", the base leader answers. Ty cringes a bit.
      Now that he's looking for it, Lachlan can see a thin trail of smoke coming from the tunnel. It's almost invisible in the dark. A few campfires made by the people are the only light source. The smell of ash is much stronger then it should be.
"Are the people accounted for?", Lachlan asks with his eyes locked onto the tunnel.
"Only one, miraculously. A boy named Jason", is the answer. The General's face pales. Vikk cusses, and Mitch's entire body stiffens.
"A Zemrlt boy?", the General asks softly. The base leader nods his head, surprised. Lachlan grits his teeth. Of all the kids in this place, it was the one who he himself had saved in the attack nine years ago. Who all three of them helped protect.
"And Lachlan...... Sky never came out", Ty's voice is barely audible. He stares at the ground with his fists tightly clenched. The soldier refuses to talk about what might of happened to Sky. He's just waiting until the smoke clears enough to go down the tunnel.
"How long ago was the fire started?", Vikk steps forward, "We might be able to get down there with a little protection".
"Right. The troops have supplies to help any injured", Lachlan drags himself out of a daze, The three of us will go down to..... see what happened". There's still a chance, right? Sky isn't suppose to be selfless enough to sacrifice himself. And Jason.........
Using extra strips of cloth, Vikk makes tight masks to cover their moths and noses. All the ash and smoke could still kill someone. Each of them have a sword and water canteen.
Going down the tunnel is like walking into a furnace. They're all sweating before they can reach the cavern. The entire place is a cloak of smoke and ash, but no more fires appear to be burning. Lachlan coughs for a moment in the acrid air.
      "Do you really think anyone could have survived this?", Mitch coughs out. Half burnt houses stand like empty shells.
      "We have to check, even if it seems impossible", Lachlan clears his throat. Did Sky really die down in here? How were they ever going to find a body in all of this? With his limp, Jason could of been trapped in any number of places. Maybe he was just too slow.
     Staying low to the ground, Lachlan leads the way forward. A house beam crashes down in the distance, sending up more ash. The small town was transformed so quickly into a waste land.
      "Hello!? Is anybody here!?", Vikk yells, trying to be loud. It's hard to take a deep breath down here. Every step brings up more dust. Mitch screams out after another few minutes, but nobody answers.
      "Maybe we should just come back in a few days. Staying is dangerous. It'd be easier to work through the ruble......", Lachlan trails off. Leaving now would be giving into the idea that Sky and Jason are dead. He hates the thought of more blood on his hands.
       Then, a low, metallic bang echos in the distance. Mitch perks up and stares in the direction. The banging repeats after only a few seconds. Someone is trying to get their attention. The three exchange a look before they're all moving.
The smoke and ash make it difficult for Lachlan to see anything. All he has to go on is the repeated banging. Mitch has to pull him back from face planting into a pile of cinders at one point. They're all more careful after that.
Through the smog, a figure starts to appear. They seem to see the group as well. He stops banging his sword on a squid's armor piece and awkwardly climbs down the ruble pile. Lachlan's never been so glad to see a hybrid in his life.
Even with nine years apart and covered in ash, Jason is still easily recognizable. Although Lachlan has no idea where he got the weird armor and sword from. A gray strip of cloth is tight around his face.
"Jason! I can't believe you're okay", Mitch gets to him first.
"Mitch? Where have all of you been? The heavy lifting is already over", Jason playfully teases. He seems to be in a good mood after almost dying, "All the squids are fried".
And it's painfully true. Chared bodies lay all over the cavern. Those who tried to go back through the water were killed from the tons of pressure. Squids are suppose to be the enemy. The sight still makes Lachlan want to throw up. Jason shouldn't have to see this.
"Is anyone else down here alive? Maybe someone dressed in all black?", Vikk asks him. If Jason is alive, surly there are others.
"You mean Sky? He totally saved everyone!", Jason's smile falters a bit, "But he's hurt real bad. He's unconscious in a little cave that I waited out the fire in".
      "You know Sky's name? How would you know that if he's passed out?", Lachlan instantly becomes concerned and suspicious. There is no reason that Jason should have ever met an assassin.
      "Why wouldn't I......", Jason trails off. He cooks his head in confusion, such a Zemrlt gesture. He doesn't finish the sentence.
"Jason, why would you know an assassin", Mitch says the last words more quietly.
"An assassin? No, that's not right. He would never do something like that", Jason stubbornly shakes his head, "But follow me. It's probably not good to be out here in this".
He turns and works his way through the rubble without another word. The other three exchange a look before following. Jason won't answer any more of their questions. He just keeps insisting that 'Sky can explain it when he gets better'.
Along the cave wall, a small crevice reaches up from the ground. The hole is only about two and half feet tall and slightly narrower. Lachlan has no idea how Jason would pull Sky in there with his leg.
     "There's probably only room for one of you. The tunnel opens up into a small cave", Jason finally says. He's already on is knees, eager to get back to Sky.
     "Alright. Will you two try to make some sort of stretcher with the rubble? Sky will probably have to be moved for treatment", Lachlan turns to Mitch and Vikk. It's not an order. He would never use his title against his former unit members. The two still nod and move to inspect one of the collapsed buildings.
      Lachlan looks back in time to see Jason's foot disappear into the tunnel. His strange armor makes a scraping sound against the stone. The General stoops down after him.
Lachlan isn't broad shouldered, but people that tall shouldn't be in tunnels like this. Maybe he should of sent Vikk in here. He scrabbles against the rough walls for at least fifteen feet before it opens up.
      It would have been completely dark if there wasn't a faint orange glow in the room. The ceiling is less then five feet above, so Lachlan has to stay on his knees.
Jason is already back over to Sky. The assassin looks dead from Lachlan's fort impression. But the idiot twitches and mumbles in his sleep, his breath uneven. A coat's been ripped up to make bandages for his side and head. A few smaller cuts are also wrapped up. All of Sky's old scars are visible without his shirt. Lachlan's seen wounds like these before. Sky should of died from blood loss long before the army arrived. His skin is even paler then Jason's
Jason isn't the only person hovering over him. The other kid looks up, startled to see Lachlan crawl in. The glow is coming from his vibrant orange eyes. Quinten used his jacket to help stop Sky's bleeding, so there's nothing to cover up his gills or the blue patches along his arms. Nothing could of hid his odd eyes or hair.
Lachlan has his sword halfway out of its scabbard before the squid can even blink. Quinten yelps and falls back away from Sky.
"Hey! Stop that! Quinten's on our side", Jason snaps, quick to defend his new friend. Sky's presence makes him brave, even if he is unconscious.
     "Get away from it, Jason. He's a squid", the General growls. Every single experience he's had for the last 21 years tells him that squids are the enemy. Jason tries to speak again, but Quinten beats him to it.
      "This is my first day of ever being free!", he sits back up with narrowed eyes, "I don't have any idea of who you are or what's going on, or even what the hell I am! But I'm gonna sit here and keep this guy from dying, just because I want to". Quinten's never had the power of choice before.
      The pain and confusion of his entire life blows up in that moment. 'Don't do that, Four'. 'You will only do this, Four'. His name isn't a number! He's tired of being used and afraid.
      "He saved my life from a squid, Lachlan. Quinten can help Sky with his healing magic", Jason is only slightly startled by the number's sudden courage.
     Lachlan is still with his sword still tightly gripped. He can see now that Quinten is distinctly more human, no, sorcerer, than squid. There's a lot that they can learn from him. But to let him come back to their base? He's just a child, even younger then Jason.
     The General sheaths his sword.