4| Hope inside the holder's eyes

HOPE

a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.

___

There were a few things in his life that Lavender, a mere child himself, can never understand what even meant.

With his hand intertwined with the other's own, he laughs softly, finding what the other said to be funny as the stars could be seen in Liatris' eyes.

It was a wonderful feeling.

Having a friend, I mean, the laughs, jokes that will never be truly get by other people and the sheer honesty of pure friendship there is.

...

Lavender still didn't get why it happened.

Blood trickled down through Liatris' fingers, his eyes wide open while he was coughing loudly as all Lavender can do is watch. Watch his dear friend to be in pain, screaming, or wasn't even able to scream through the blood in his mouth, the never ending out of control pulse of the heart monitor ringing through the room as all in his life faded.

"L-lia?" He helplessly said as he reaches a hand over to the other skeleton, his fingers shaking slightly.

He was confused, what should he do? His mom ever taught him anything about this nor have mentioned of such a situation to him before—why must fate brought a child to see a brush of death?

The sounds of people rushing in the room could be heard but even then, he didn't dare to look away from the skeleton in front of him who was still coughing so loudly. Arms grab him from behind, quickly taking him off the bed as the nurses went around Liatris, moving in rush as they frantically reach for those weird objects used for medical things that Lavender doesn't know the name of.

His legs were kicking within the person's hold as tears rushed down his cheeks. "W-wait! LIA!" He yelled over as he was feeling mix emotions of pain and confusion, the scene of seeing the other being so hurt making something in his chest ache as he was drag out of the room.

...

He still doesn't understand it.

___

Hospitals.

They were the things that Lavender never really like the picture of, there were the smell of alcohol and medicine hanging throughout the air, a smell he never like from the first place—Breath.—He can't breathe as the feeling of crippling sadness was within him.

Why was he here, again?

Oh right, because he was suddenly dragged out of the room when something happening to Liatris.

"Kiddo?"

Sniffling, Lavender glance up to the voice as his feet dangled off the chair he was currently sitting at.

"Mom?" He softly said as tear tracks could be seen upon his cheeks, the lights in his eyes almost being gone as he was breathing heavily.

Not saying another word, Sans sat beside him, his hands being inside his jacket's pockets before he finally spoke up. "Hey, the nurses told me what happened, how are you doing, Love?" He asked in the same lazy tone, it almost being relaxed but even then, Lavender could hear the concern in his voice.

He looks down upon his hands on his lap, thinking for a bit, before he looks back up at his mother once again as he ignored the other's question.

"M-mom, can I ask you something?"

".... Sure thing, kid?" The other blinks a few times, waiting for what the other is going to say.

"I-Is he... is he going to..." Gulping, Lavender stares up at the taller with a perplexed and worried look in his eyes while tears kept streaming down his cheeks.

"...Is Liatris going to die?"

Sans stops still from the question, his figure visibly stiffening as Lavender frowned, waiting for the other's answer.

Letting out a sigh, Sans gave him a small grin as he can saw tiredness in the taller's eyes. "Look kid... I can't really say what'll happen with him but even then..." The other place a hand on top of his head, patting him gently. "Let's just hope that won't happen, okay?"

Blinking a few times, Lavender frowned as he averts his gaze to the side.

Hope.

What is hope, again?—it's the exact opposite of the feeling of dread, right?

He has been in this hospital a bunch of times but even just the tiny essence of hope seems to be dying within these walls.

...

Will his hope, be enough?

As his mind was rambling, a voice cut his thoughts making Lavender glance to the noise.

"You are Lavender, I presume?"

"Yes?..." He said, a bit confused on who this person is while he started rubbing away his tears using the sleeve of his shirt. They were a skeleton monster, wearing a white coat over a purple sweater, which has flowers and stars embroidered upon it, while he has on a pair of black pants with one single flower being tucked in one of its pockets.

His mom always taught him to keep away from people he doesn't know, but his mom is beside him right now and simply staring at this person, so maybe he is safe?

Kneeling down in front of him, the skeleton gave him a small smile as Lavender simply blinks at them, curious on what the other was about to do. "My name's Outer, Liatris' dad, he told me a lot about you..."

Offering a hand towards him, he looks down upon it. His hand being too small compared to the taller's own, Lavender held onto two fingers as he shakes their hands before retracting his arm back. "Nice to meet you Mr. Outer." He politely greeted the other.

Taking something out of his coat, Outer simply handed him a book that Lavender has never seen before, but what was laid out as its tittle got him to remember something Liatris has told him a few days ago.

'COSMIC CONNECTIONS' was the book's title, it being in big bold letters as stars were upon the book's cover with two shadows holding hands in the middle of it all.

"Lia asked me to give you this, he said that it was the book he wanted to show you next, but sadly he is currently being held for a few days in a different room where you can't visit him for a while..." The taller said simply while handing him the book to which Lavender gently took.

He glances down upon the book before looking back up at Outer. "Is Lia... Is Lia going to be okay?" He asked lowly, a frown being place upon his lips.

Outer visible stiffened from his question before letting out a sigh as he grinned at him. "Well..." Voice trailing off, Lavender pauses as he saw the look in the taller's eyes.

Hope.

What is hope again?

Lavender always felt like the hope left in this hospital is always slowly turning into ashes... and yet, as he saw the hope in the other's eyes, it made him rethink a few things.

"...Let's just hope Lia will get better, okay?" Outer continued to say, the hope in his eyes reminding him of a flower blooming in the shadows as the sun may not shine upon, but the stars gave it light.

Nodding his head, Lavender gave the other a small smile as he hugs the book close to his chest.

Hope surely is an indescribable feeling.

___

What? I mean come on anything can happen so suddenly so don't blame me~

1231 words.