• CHAPTER THREE •

»»» OPERATION ghost powers started immediately, consisting of many more intense experiments that were laced with a different feeling altogether

»»» OPERATION ghost powers started immediately, consisting of many more intense experiments that were laced with a different feeling altogether. This time, Fred knew that there was a chance, however small, that George would somehow feel his presence. It might have been the fatigue talking, or the looming loneliness catching up with him, but he needed this just as much as he would need a breath of air in his final moments.

With the image of George's recognition burnt into his mind, Fred kept rambling on, using various methods and ticking them all off as he went. He first attempted to wait until George had fallen asleep again, believing that he had somehow penetrated into his dreams, but that only led to a strange revelation about his snoring habits. As far as he knew, Fred was the one out of the two that would snore whilst sleeping and it would often drive his brother insane. But what he didn't realise that with his absence, George Weasley couldn't get any sleep unless he spelled himself with a blocked nose just to imitate the sounds that he so despised every night.

The next day, Fred decided on a different tactic, standing by the entrance of the store and leaning against the doorframe. However, each time he tried to, his hand would slip right through, like it did on any other occasion. Yet he was certain that he had felt it under his hand yesterday, making the situation all the more curious.

Something had changed.

He just had to figure it out. 

There was no way he could perfectly recreate the situation since he could barely remember what they were doing during the day up to that moment. Plus it would be another month before George would open up the books again, and the thought of waiting that long only caused pain.

Teeth gritted, he repeated all the stories he talked about, mentioning all his advice about Lily Argent and how they would be alright despite this little spat. He recalled how apologetic he was about deserting him, both in this time and in the future. He allowed the emotions to fill him again, no matter how difficult it was. 

But none of it worked.

Of course, George Weasley was completely oblivious and so continued on with his normal routine. This morning was slightly different though. Where Fred expected him to go to the back and continue developing their products; George shrugged on an anorak coat instead, pulling up the collar to cover his ears. He went further and took an old hat that caused his ghostly brother to narrow his eyes.

The conversation surrounding that particular hat echoed back in his ears. It was a gift from Aunt Muriel that neither of them particularly liked. But no matter how much they protested, they were not allowed to destroy the item. It was strange itself, filled with different shades of green as if it couldn't decide which one it wanted to cover the hideous cloth. Kept in the back of their cupboards, stuffed behind some old boxes, it was only when they were moving out did Fred unearth it.

Surprisingly, it still fit their heads, but that was probably due to Aunt Muriel's spells that meant they would have to keep it for as long as they both lived. They had laughed at it all, how strange it looked on them, but it was only when Ron had mentioned it in a letter to Harry did they look at it twice.