• CHAPTER TWENTY •

»»» "SO we'll just leave him there and he'll wake up and -" Fred trailed off at the sight of his brother hunched over on the ground

»»» "SO we'll just leave him there and he'll wake up and -" Fred trailed off at the sight of his brother hunched over on the ground. He knew it was a long shot to get him to believe that he actually managed to knock himself out, but they didn't have much of a choice. The last thing he wanted to do was test out their magic on him with an Oblivate, and yet, letting his mind fill in the gaps felt like it was far scarier.

He jumped at the touch of Lavender's hand on his arm.

"He'll be fine," she finished for him. "Even if he believes otherwise, it's not like the other you is going to walk in and demand an apology for the fight."

"I guess so," Fred said, racking his brain back to the moment. They never really apologised to one another, choosing to let things go instead. At the time, he remembered thinking it was strange, but he was far too grateful to be back on speaking terms to question any of it. Now it made more sense. If George truly did believe he just had a crazy dream foreshadowing his brother's death, then a stupid argument would be the least of his concerns.

"Come on," Lavender said. "We should get out of here, just in case."

Fred nodded and followed her towards the door. He paused, eyes scanning the room. There was a nagging feeling that something about it seemed wrong, but he just couldn't place what it was. His gaze hovered in the corner where the Pygmy Puffs were all stacked neatly next to one another, glancing up at the snackboxes and crackers that were kept on shelves above them. No matter how intently he stared, he couldn't figure it out.

"Five meters ghost boy!"

"I'm coming," he called back, giving the room one final look. Shaking his head, he took care when closing the door, making sure not to make a lot of noise. Satisfied, he jogged a little to catch up with Lavender, who once again was walking in a direction without asking his opinion on the matter.

"Where are we going?"

"I don't know, but I thought it would be best if we got far away from here, don't you?" Lavender replied with a small smile. "Then we can regroup and figure out what to do next. I don't know, something about this place is giving me the heebie jeebies," she continued with a small shudder. In all other instances, Fred would comment on her choice of description but he couldn't help but agree with her.

He was just thankful that she wasn't off planning another adventure without him. The relief he felt surprised him. It seemed it was far more important to him to know that she cared about his opinion than he initially thought.

In such a short space of time, she had become so important to him and whilst he knew that there were feelings that were flirting with his heart, he much rather preferred maintaining their friendship. There was no one else he'd want to witness the fight with his brother, and patch him up.

Thinking about it all made his mouth go dry, his fists clenched once again. The whole idea of it all was stupid, but he had no one to blame but himself. If he had been more careful with what he was saying, then perhaps they might have been able to have a civil conversation with one another. That's all he yearned for. A moment to explain himself and perhaps say goodbye.