• CHAPTER EIGHT •

»»» NOT wanting to dampen the mood, Fred chose not to mention any theories that he wanted to test out

»»» NOT wanting to dampen the mood, Fred chose not to mention any theories that he wanted to test out. As far as he was concerned, they could all wait for another day. In the meantime, he wanted to focus on figuring out the enigma that was his Deathly companion. It definitely required some tough conversations, but for the most part he hoped that she would trust him enough to go through with it. Yet a part of him was aware that she had no reason to be civil with him at all, considering their only history was her doomed relationship with his brother and the fact that Lily wasn't exactly her favourite person.

The latter had more direct influence in Fred's eyes, having always felt a certain loyalty to his brother and his girlfriend about people they did not like. He couldn't help the confusion though, especially as they continued interacting with each other. There were many words he would use to describe the girl, but she didn't deserve the cold shoulder from him when they were alive. Again, it was difficult considering the Lavender he was getting to know now was vastly different to the giggly girl who spent her afternoons procrastinating with the Patel twins.

As far as he knew, she didn't lack any social skills and was always able to strike up a conversation with strangers, whether it was to find out the latest gossip or to share some of her own. Seeing her hide out in the shadows, shy away at the slightest touch of attention, it seemed the war had changed a lot in the girl he thought he once knew. A glimpse of someone he could possibly recognise was snatched away quickly once only to be replaced by the shell of a human she had now adopted.

Fred knew that she had no obligation to open up to him, but since she was the first person to bring him out of the hellhole that was his eternal prison, he couldn't help the tug in his stomach urging him to pull out another story just to hear her laugh again. Certainly was not because he liked the way her eyes creased as they teared up with amusement, nor was it due to how infectious her laugh seemed to be. No, this was purely due to the debt he felt towards her; she had saved his life after all, or afterlife

Shaking his head, he straightened up as she appeared from the bathroom, looking slightly flushed and offering a small smile.

No, there was nothing about that smile he liked, not the tiny dimple that appeared on her left cheek, nor the way it made her look younger and carefree. Alarmed at the thought, he hastily followed her as they walked in the sunshine, making a mental note to figure out what she had meant when she talked about the girl spice or whatever insect it was.

Determined to set the record straight, he pushed aside all his thoughts and asked her what she wanted to do now that they were fed, but he was not expecting the response he got.

Having been trapped as a failed ghost for the past few days, there was only one thing that Lavender cared for now that she was somehow given a second chance (after eating of course); she wanted to know whether this was permanent and if not, how could they make it be so.