• CHAPTER THIRTEEN •

a/n: small trigger warning

a/n: small trigger warning. this chap deals with anxiety and panic attacks.

»»» FRED had decided to leave the two women to it, pure longing etching through his heart as he could not help but imagine a similar conversation with his brother. He already knew all the topics that he would cover, ranging from how thankful he was for having his presence in the game of life, to apologising that he wasn't able to play till the end. But most of all, he simply wanted to meet George's eyes and know that he could actually see him for a change.

Not wanting to go too far, he traced the edge of the wall partitioner with his finger, coming at a stop in front of a small cabinet filled with trinkets. Included in the range were trophies in Lavender's name for all sorts; activities that he had never heard of, or paid any attention to. Glancing back, he slid his hand and pulled out a picture frame. A young Lavender, no older than seven or eight, beamed up at the camera, pointing at her medal as she waved. To think, he had spent years in the same house and had no idea about this particular extra curricular activity.

The thought bothered him a lot.

Whilst he had painted a picture of who she was, it was only becoming more painfully clearer that it was incorrect, or at the very least, incomplete. His mind tiptoed around the darkest pits he had been avoiding since waking up. Seeing Lavender reconcile with her mother was enough to tempt him over the edge. Questions like what happened to all the other bodies of his former classmates that would inevitably be found and who else was facing an unfinished story without the privilege to set it right buzzed around his head.

Exhaling shakily, he ignored the slight tremble in his hand as he put it back.

There was no use in worrying about it now, after all, there was nothing to be done. At least not in the sense he wanted.

"You okay?"

Fred jumped, a ghost of a smile playing on his lips as Lavender echoed his own words. How could either of them ever be okay, when clearly none of this was normal. No one taught this at Hogwarts, for no one ever believed Death was something to worry about so young. Turning, he nodded, knowing that if there was anyone who could see through his lies at this point, it would be her. But all the same, she had pulled his attention away from the endless mental pit, reminding him of the task they still had before them.

And whilst he might not have been the bravest, nor the strongest, smartest or kindest, he knew how to smile even when it seemed impossible. Lavender gestured to the room, not commenting on the multiple emotions she saw cross through his face when he met her eyes.

"So," he said, clapping his hands together and rubbing them together. "We find the unfinished business, complete it and then we're able to move in with the Angels?" he asked Mary as he walked back into the dining room, his confidence returning.