Chapter 3

Hey everyone! I am sorry about the late update. I am planning on making Sunday my regular update day! See you next Sunday!

Penelope's POV

Just as I let myself relax we heard the scream. Immediately my heart began to race, my stomach dropped to my feet, and my heart jumped up my throat. James and I ran towards the other side of the house as my mother stayed with the twins. As we walk down the hall towards the room Wren and her son Riley were staying, I broke out in a cold sweat. The hair on the back of my neck stood up as we reached the doorway.

Ella was hunched over screaming as Noah tried to pull her away. James tried to block my view, but I pushed him out of the way running towards Ella to see what she was hunched over. Gasping, I quickly fall to my knees beside her. Wren lay on her back, blood seeping out of the large claw marks across her chest. Her eyes closed like she was sleeping peacefully, but the paleness of her skin and the growing puddle beneath me told me otherwise. Pressing my hands to the wounds on her chest, I try to stop the bleeding.

I quickly grab a blanket and press it to her chest with as much pressure as I could. A red sploch quickly grows soaking the blanket. The unsettling quietness that filled the room told me what I don't want to admit. I refused to admit that she was dead. She survived years of torture at the hands of Percy and his army. I reach out for another blanket, but James takes it from me and covers Wren's body with it. I began to shake, and James picks me up. He starts to lead me out the door, but before I let shock take over I scrambled back over towards Riley's crib.

"Where is he? James where is he?" I frantically search the room, "Where is he? He's gone. Riley is gone."'

James and Noah quickly jump into action, giving orders. They pull Ella and me out of the room. As James leads me back towards our room I see Owen trying to comfort Ryan. My heart breaks for him, I don't know what anyone can do to help Ryan. He grieved his sister's death once, then when she was rescued from Percy and his dad, he was over the moon. He had finally gotten his sister back and a new nephew. Then in a mere moment someone took that all away from him. James took me into our room and quickly took off my blood soaked clothes. I was so busy trying to help and thinking about what had happened that I didn't realize I was covered in Wren's blood. He lead me into the shower and helped me rinse off all the blood. I watch as the water turns red and swirls down the drain. James continued to wash my hair then turned off the shower. I wanted to say something, anything. I can see he is struggling with Riley's kidnapping and Wren's death just as much as I was, but I couldn't help it. I stood there numbly as he dried us off and began brushing my hair.

We had just taken comfort in the fact that we would have a few years of safety before anything bad happened, but then an infant was kidnapped and our friend murdered just at the other end of the hall. We have to be able to live our lives and enjoy our time with the twins, but I just keep going over every possible scenario in my head. How has this happened? Who did this to Wren? What if they come back for Rose and William? My mind spirals as I think about everything that could happen to the twins. I feel my heart pounding as horrible images flash through my mind. I feel James come up behind me and wrapped his arms around me.

"Hey the twins will be okay, and we will find Riley. We will bring Wren's killer to justice. I promise you it will be okay. Everything will be okay."

I lean into James' embrace. I turn around and snuggle into my mate. I breathe in his sent letting it calms me. After I feel myself relax, I put on a robe and we walk towards the nursery. The last bit of tension left me as I was able to pick up my babies. William snuggled into me and looked over to see James holding Rose protectively. I could see the knots in his shoulders and could sense his stress through the mindlink. Walking over to him I leaned into him.

"Hey, everything will be okay. Whatever happens next we will do it together, okay? We have been through so much together already, and we have made it through. We will make it through this." I say as confidently as I can.

"You're right," he leaned down and kissed me, "I love you so much, Sweetheart."

"I love you too."

We took the twins to our room, and laid them in the bassinets in by our beds. We then curled up next to each other. James continued to mindlink Noah and the warriors. Kidnapping is rare in the werewolf community because it is usually so easy to track the kidnapper, but in this instance there was no trace of whoever kidnapped Riley. There was no scent or tracks. The warriors are trying everything they can, but even our best trackers weren't finding anything. My stomach drops to my feet as I think about how you always hear how crucial the first 24 hours are in kidnapping cases.